Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Having trouble converting genbank format to gff format

I have a fairly large number of sequin annotation files generated by GenBank's automated PGAP pipeline that I want to convert into bed format. I've been able to use the asn2gb program from the ncbi toolkit to generate GenBank format files from those sequin files, but so far I haven't had much luck converting from genbank into gff. After getting into gff, conversion into bed won't be a problem. But so far I haven't had any luck going from genbank to gff.

I am trying to use bp_genbank2gff3.pl, but am getting this error message:

--------------------- WARNING ---------------------
    MSG: Bad LOCUS name? Changing [Staphylococcus_spHMPREF3292-1.0_Cont0>11789] to 'unknown' and length to Staphylococcus_spHMPREF3292-1.0_Cont0>11789
    ---------------------------------------------------

I thought maybe it was unhappy because of the greater-than symbol in the LOCUS line. So I tried removing it, and then I get a new error message:

------------- EXCEPTION: Bio::Root::Exception -------------
    MSG: asking for tag value that does not exist date
    STACK: Error::throw
    STACK: Bio::Root::Root::throw /gsc/scripts/opt/genome/current/user/lib/perl/Bio/Root/Root.pm:357
    STACK: Bio::SeqFeature::Generic::get_tag_values /gsc/scripts/opt/genome/current/user/lib/perl/Bio/SeqFeature/Generic.pm:498
    STACK: main::gff_header /gsc/bin/bp_genbank2gff3.pl:895
    STACK: /gsc/bin/bp_genbank2gff3.pl:406
    -----------------------------------------------------------

All my input files were generated by GenBank itself, and I used a GenBank script to generate the .gbk files I now have. So I would think my .gbk files are correctly formatted. Can anyone either advise me on what I'm doing wrong with the 'bp_genbank2gff3.pl' script? Or if there is a better way to convert from .gbk into .gff that would work too.

Thanks,
    John Martin

The "bp_" prefix stands for "BioPerl". You might want to ask the BioPerl programmers what the problem might be. They have an email list. Possibly there are other ways to query them as well.

--
    Phillip

Comment

From memory I think readseq.jar might be able to help, it is simple too.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
      • seqadmin
        Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
        by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
        Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
        03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:37 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:07 PM
      0 responses