Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discrepancy in plasmid and transposons copy number estimation using WGS vs qPCR

We are trying to estimate plasmid copy number in a bacterium by mapping Illumina reads on corrected PacBio contigs and comparing read coverage between the chromosomal and plasmid contigs. Chromosome is about 5 Mbp and plasmid is 190 kbp.

The depth was good for both contigs (200-1000 reads). The ratio between chromosomal vs plasmid was about 1:2. The coverage of a transposon in the plasmid was even higher (1:4 comparing to chromosomal). I tried to confirm this using qPCR by comparing PCR efficiency-adjusted Ct (not the typical ddCT that assumes all efficiency = 2) between two reference single-copy chromosomal genes (rpoB, gyrA) and three target genes on the plasmid (two inside a transposon and one outside), and everything came down to a tight and solid 1:1. It is not uncommon for a plasmid like this to be single copy. I was wondering if the sequencing depth could be used in this manner without any bias adjustment. I am seriously doubting my ability to design a PCR, but I found nothing wrong with it. Should I trust the simple coverage calculation or the PCR at this point?

The average GC content of chromosome is about 56%. Plasmid GC content is 54%, but the transposon on the plasmid (10 kb) is 62% GC.

Any suggestion would be highly appreciated. Thank you so much!

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
    Best Practices for Single-Cell Sequencing Analysis
    by seqadmin

While isolating and preparing single cells for sequencing was historically the bottleneck, recent technological advancements have shifted the challenge to data analysis. This highlights the rapidly evolving nature of single-cell sequencing. The inherent complexity of single-cell analysis has intensified with the surge in data volume and the incorporation of diverse and more complex datasets. This article explores the challenges in analysis, examines common pitfalls, offers...
    06-06-2024, 07:15 AM
  • seqadmin
    Latest Developments in Precision Medicine
    by seqadmin

Technological advances have led to drastic improvements in the field of precision medicine, enabling more personalized approaches to treatment. This article explores four leading groups that are overcoming many of the challenges of genomic profiling and precision medicine through their innovative platforms and technologies.

Somatic Genomics
    “We have such a tremendous amount of genetic diversity that exists within each of us, and not just between us as individuals,”...
    05-24-2024, 01:16 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
Started by seqadmin, 06-07-2024, 06:58 AM
0 responses
0 likes
Last Post seqadmin  
Started by seqadmin, 06-06-2024, 08:18 AM
0 responses