Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • smatamoros
    Junior Member
    • Mar 2015
    • 8

    #1

    Calculate the number of SNP differences between two sequences

    Hello,

    This seems like a simple enough question but I can't find a straight answer...

    I want to know how many SNP differences there are between each of my samples (=genomes). My dataset is composed of 65 bacterial genomes. I used kSNP3 to call the SNPs from the genomes using the core option, and SNP-sites to generate the VCF file from the alignment. And now I am completely stuck, for something that looks really trivial.

    The fasta alignment looks like:
    >seq1
    AAATTTCCCGGG
    >seq2
    CAATTTCCCGGG
    >seq3
    CAAGTTCCCGGG

    The sequences are the concatenated core SNPs of my whole dataset. Thus I have 1 sequence per sample, and they are aligned and all of exactly the same length (roughly 40 000 bp long).

    The output I am looking for is the exact number of SNPs (or similarities) between each pair of sequence:

    seq1 seq2 seq3
    seq1 0
    seq2 1 0
    seq3 2 1 0
    etc...

    Does anyone know a simple way to get either from the alignment or from the resulting VCF file to the disimilarity matrix ? I have been looking into different softwares for 2 days now without success...
  • tristan dubos
    Member
    • Dec 2015
    • 39

    #2
    Hi ,
    I don't know tools for that (may be in R there's something available) and i think it's more personal scripting code . Anyways i think you can do it with excel and tab links if you don't code, don't you think?

    Tristan

    Comment

    • smatamoros
      Junior Member
      • Mar 2015
      • 8

      #3
      Hi,

      Yes I finally found 2 ways to do it: a short python script or a distance calculation in R. Excel is not possible because the sequences are longer than the maximum number of letters accepted in a single excel cell

      Comment

      Latest Articles

      Collapse

      • SEQadmin2
        New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
        by SEQadmin2


        Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

        We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing
        ...
        Yesterday, 10:25 AM
      • SEQadmin2
        How Immunogenomics Decodes Immunity’s Genetic Blueprint
        by SEQadmin2




        The immune system’s power comes from its genetic diversity, allowing myriad threats to be neutralized through first recognizing foreign antigens. That diversity is also what makes the immune system so difficult to study. Recent advances in sequencing technology and computational biology, however, are giving researchers new tools to understand immune responses and immune-related diseases in greater detail.

        This convergence of genetics, immunology, and computation...
        09-01-2026, 05:41 AM

      ad_right_rmr

      Collapse

      News

      Collapse

      Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
      0 responses
      29 views
      0 reactions
      Last Post SEQadmin2  
      Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
      0 responses
      24 views
      0 reactions
      Last Post SEQadmin2  
      Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
      1 response
      46 views
      0 reactions
      Last Post pekgio
      by pekgio
       
      Started by SEQadmin2, 09-16-2026, 10:23 AM
      1 response
      55 views
      0 reactions
      Last Post pekgio
      by pekgio
       
      Working...