Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • DMNO
    Junior Member
    • Sep 2017
    • 3

    #1

    "Stranded" data may actually be unstranded?

    Hello!

    I have some paired-end RNA-seq data that I was told were "stranded", but nothing about whether it's RF or FR.

    I aligned some randomly sampled pairs of reads to the reference genome of the organism. I see that 50% of the read 1s map to the "+" strand, the other 50% to the "-" strand. Same as the read 2s.

    Does this mean that the data is actually unstranded?

    P.S. I can't get QoRTs to work on my data, so I can't use it to tell me whether the data is stranded or not.

    Thank you!
  • Michael.Ante
    Senior Member
    • Oct 2011
    • 127

    #2
    Hi DMNO,

    did you take the transcripts' strand-orientation into account? Try using RSeQC's infer-experiment tool. It gives you a good way to assess if your library was stranded and in which orientation.

    Cheers,

    Michael

    Comment

    • DMNO
      Junior Member
      • Sep 2017
      • 3

      #3
      Thank you very much, Michael!

      The output of infer_experiment.py is:


      Fraction of reads failed to determine: 0.0098
      Fraction of reads explained by "1++,1--,2+-,2-+": 0.0089
      Fraction of reads explained by "1+-,1-+,2++,2--": 0.9813


      From what I understand, this means that the library is RF?

      Comment

      Latest Articles

      Collapse

      • SEQadmin2
        New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
        by SEQadmin2


        Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

        We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing
        ...
        Today, 10:25 AM
      • SEQadmin2
        How Immunogenomics Decodes Immunity’s Genetic Blueprint
        by SEQadmin2




        The immune system’s power comes from its genetic diversity, allowing myriad threats to be neutralized through first recognizing foreign antigens. That diversity is also what makes the immune system so difficult to study. Recent advances in sequencing technology and computational biology, however, are giving researchers new tools to understand immune responses and immune-related diseases in greater detail.

        This convergence of genetics, immunology, and computation...
        09-01-2026, 05:41 AM

      ad_right_rmr

      Collapse

      News

      Collapse

      Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
      0 responses
      27 views
      0 reactions
      Last Post SEQadmin2  
      Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
      0 responses
      24 views
      0 reactions
      Last Post SEQadmin2  
      Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
      1 response
      45 views
      0 reactions
      Last Post pekgio
      by pekgio
       
      Started by SEQadmin2, 09-16-2026, 10:23 AM
      1 response
      55 views
      0 reactions
      Last Post pekgio
      by pekgio
       
      Working...