No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• understanding HTSeq counts

Hi,

I ran HTSeq on a *.sam file using RefSeq genes GTF file. I got counts for each transcript and would like to understand how exactly these counts were generated. Does HTSeq count a read whenever it overlaps with an exon and then takes a sum/average of all these exons across a transcript? Or, is there some other complicated procedure to merge the counts of all the exons in a transcript?

Thank you very much for your response.

Nirmala

Originally posted by nimmi View Post
    Hi,

I ran HTSeq on a *.sam file using RefSeq genes GTF file. I got counts for each transcript and would like to understand how exactly these counts were generated. Does HTSeq count a read whenever it overlaps with an exon and then takes a sum/average of all these exons across a transcript? Or, is there some other complicated procedure to merge the counts of all the exons in a transcript?

Thank you very much for your response.

Nirmala
    This is a question I have also been meaning to ask. I doubt that the average would be useful here. I don't know enough Python to read the code, but maybe the authors of the software will have an answer for us here?

Comment

htseq-count is a rather simple script. First of all, it does not attempt to tease apart isoforms (transcripts), it only counts for genes. So, if a read overlaps with one or more exons of a gene, it is counted for this gene. If it overlaps with exons from more then one gene, it it counted as ambiguous, i.e, for neither of the genes. The precise definition of "overlap" can be adjusted, see the figure at http://www-huber.embl.de/users/ander...doc/count.html .

Simon

Comment

hello,

This is a great forum and I'm learning a lot here. I would really appreciate some help troubleshooting HTSeq.

I've installed everything correctly in the Python window, I think, since I get no error messages. From the command line, I then type:

python -m HTSeq.scripts.count -q <sam.file> <gtf.file>

Since I'm running the script on quiet mode, I get the following output:

no_feature 0
        ambiguous 0
        too low aQual 0
        not aligned 0

I tried writing the countsTable to a file, by adding a "> countsTable.txt" to the end of the above, but this text file contains the exact same info as was printed above.

There's nothing wrong with either the SAM file created by TopHat and Samtools, or with the GTF file, as I've worked with both of them successfully in other programs.

Thanks for any help!!

elena
        Last edited by ecofriendly; 11-27-2010, 08:28 PM.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
        • seqadmin
          Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
          by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
          Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
          03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:37 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:07 PM
        0 responses