Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • shurjo
    Senior Member
    • Jan 2009
    • 132

    #1

    libz.so.1 version for Cufflinks

    Hi,

    I am getting this line in the shell error log when running Cufflinks using SGE:
    Code:
    /home/sensh/bin/cufflinks: /usr/lib64/libz.so.1: no version information available (required by /home/sensh/bin/cufflinks)
    Can anyone give me a hint about what I need to do to solve this? Also, I should mention that the Cufflinks run itself is not terminating and all three output files are produced: it's just that I would like to understand what is causing this. I tried this:
    Code:
    [sensh@kirk ~]$ file /usr/lib64/libz.so.1
    /usr/lib64/libz.so.1: symbolic link to `libz.so.1.2.3'
    So it seems that libz.so.1 is available on the system.

    Any help would be appreciated,

    Thanks,

    Shurjo
  • jmarshall
    Samtools maintainer
    • Jul 2009
    • 39

    #2
    You don't say what operating system, distribution, or release thereof you're running on, or whether you built cufflinks yourself or downloaded a binary.

    However, you would see this message if, for example, you were running on Debian Etch an executable that had been built on Debian Lenny against Lenny's zlib.

    The executable downloadable from the cufflinks web page was built on Red Hat and includes a shared library version dependency on ZLIB_1.2.2 (similarly to if it had been built on Lenny). Your machine has a zlib that has been built without symbol versioning, which is what is causing the warning you are seeing.

    Your machine has libz 1.2.3, which is better than cufflinks's desired version anyway. So in practice everything will be fine. (And if it wasn't, the explosion when some zlib function was unavailable would be rather noticeable!)

    -- John

    Comment

    • shurjo
      Senior Member
      • Jan 2009
      • 132

      #3
      Originally posted by jmarshall View Post
      You don't say what operating system, distribution, or release thereof you're running on, or whether you built cufflinks yourself or downloaded a binary.

      However, you would see this message if, for example, you were running on Debian Etch an executable that had been built on Debian Lenny against Lenny's zlib.

      The executable downloadable from the cufflinks web page was built on Red Hat and includes a shared library version dependency on ZLIB_1.2.2 (similarly to if it had been built on Lenny). Your machine has a zlib that has been built without symbol versioning, which is what is causing the warning you are seeing.

      Your machine has libz 1.2.3, which is better than cufflinks's desired version anyway. So in practice everything will be fine. (And if it wasn't, the explosion when some zlib function was unavailable would be rather noticeable!)

      -- John
      Hi John,

      Thanks for the very lucid explanation. FYI, I am running CentOS release 5.4 (Final) and using the precompiled binary for cufflinks v0.9.2. If I understand you correctly, an error caused by our cluster having libz_1.2.3 rather than libz.so.1 would be more along the lines of Cufflinks failing to complete a run rather than proceeding to completion but containing cryptic errors in the output?

      Best regards,

      Shurjo

      Comment

      • jdjax
        Member
        • Dec 2010
        • 23

        #4
        Dear John or Shurjo,

        I am receive the same error message as discussed in this thread. But I do not understand your answers and have no idea how to fix it. Can either one of you please explain in further detail what is the problem and now to fix it.

        I am running cufflinks v1.0.3 on a hp server with RHEL 5.4. and I am not sure if cufflinks was built or the binary was downloaded since the post doc in the group installed this program. I would appreciate your help in this matter. Thanks in advance.


        [jadf@flseq sorted]$ cufflinks -o trial trinity_n_trial_inflorescence.sorted.bam
        cufflinks: /usr/lib64/libz.so.1: no version information available (required by cufflinks)
        You are using Cufflinks v1.0.3, which is the most recent release.
        Warning: BAM header too large
        File trinity_n_trial_inflorescence.sorted.bam doesn't appear to be a valid BAM file, trying SAM...
        jdjax
        Ph.d. Student
        Åarhus University

        Comment

        • DZhang
          Senior Member
          • Jun 2010
          • 177

          #5
          Just did a quick google search and check if this helps:

          VR news, AR news, and XR news updated in real time. Original articles plus headlines from 38+ trusted sources covering VR hardware, gaming, software, enterprise, and spatial computing.

          Comment

          • enelkinsan
            Member
            • May 2012
            • 14

            #6
            I run cufflinks several times on the linux server (cufflinks v2.0.2, don't know about the server). One of these runs ended with the same error you have, the others were ok. Neither configuration, nor the cufflinks version has changed, the only difference was the sample .bam file it was running.

            Comment

            • nr23
              Member
              • Oct 2012
              • 42

              #7
              I have the same problem as above: I've run the exact same script (with different .bams) many times without error. Now it fufuses to run with:

              cuffdiff: /lib64/libz.so.1: no version information available (required by cuffdiff)
              cuffdiff v2.1.1 (4046M)

              /var/spool/torque/mom_priv/jobs/1417075.stokes-svcs.ice.ichec.ie.SC: line 21: /work/cufflinks/Laevis7/six1.mo/merged_asm/merged.gtf: Permission denied
              /var/spool/torque/mom_priv/jobs/1417075.stokes-svcs.ice.ichec.ie.SC: line 23: /work/tophat_out/control/rep1/control.1.bam,work/tophat_out/control/rep2/control.2.bam: No such file or directory
              Last edited by nr23; 08-15-2013, 05:01 AM.

              Comment

              • GenoMax
                Senior Member
                • Feb 2008
                • 7142

                #8
                The error does not seem to be related to libz.

                There is a permission denied error on the "merged.gtf" file (most likely for write operation). Have you checked the permissions on that directory tree (/ichec/work/nglif015b/cufflinks/Laevis7/six1.mo/)?

                Comment

                • nr23
                  Member
                  • Oct 2012
                  • 42

                  #9
                  The permissions seem good on 'merged.gtf'

                  -rw-r--r-- 1 user acc 94M 2013-08-15 10:16 merged.gtf

                  I've write-enabled both files, but I've never had to do this before, and this doesn't fix the problem...

                  Weirdly it seems to run fine when run from the command line, but fails when submitted as a job...

                  Comment

                  • GenoMax
                    Senior Member
                    • Feb 2008
                    • 7142

                    #10
                    Originally posted by nr23 View Post
                    The permissions seem good on 'merged.gtf'

                    -rw-r--r-- 1 user acc 94M 2013-08-15 10:16 merged.gtf

                    I've write-enabled both files, but I've never had to do this before, and this doesn't fix the problem...
                    I was referring to the directories above that file (which user/group owns those and do they have write permissions).

                    Originally posted by nr23 View Post
                    Weirdly it seems to run fine when run from the command line, but fails when submitted as a job...
                    This may be a case to diagnose with help of local cluster admins. Perhaps your PBS jobs do not run as "you" but some other user (though that would admittedly be an uncommon setup)?

                    Comment

                    • dpryan
                      Devon Ryan
                      • Jul 2011
                      • 3478

                      #11
                      Originally posted by GenoMax View Post
                      Perhaps your PBS jobs do not run as "you" but some other user (though that would admittedly be an uncommon setup)?
                      Alternatively, the job is running as the correct user, but the mount point on the node isn't setup correctly. I recently had fun with that situation.

                      Comment

                      • nr23
                        Member
                        • Oct 2012
                        • 42

                        #12
                        Ah - ok. Is there a quick way to check the permission for the directory tree?

                        Comment

                        • GenoMax
                          Senior Member
                          • Feb 2008
                          • 7142

                          #13
                          Originally posted by nr23 View Post
                          Ah - ok. Is there a quick way to check the permission for the directory tree?
                          You can do the following:

                          Code:
                          $ ls -lR  /work/ (or down the hierarchy as needed)
                          if you only want to see directories

                          Code:
                          $ ls -l /work/ | grep "^d"
                          Last edited by GenoMax; 08-15-2013, 05:41 AM.

                          Comment

                          • cchang
                            Junior Member
                            • Nov 2015
                            • 1

                            #14
                            Originally posted by nr23 View Post
                            Weirdly it seems to run fine when run from the command line, but fails when submitted as a job...
                            Initially I ran into the same problem:
                            I tried to submit a job but failed. Then I ran in command line and it worked.

                            Later I realized why:
                            In my job submission script, I had the following lines

                            cuffdiff -o diffout -b genome.fa -p 8 -u genes.gtf \
                            ./C1_R1_thout/accepted_hits.bam \
                            ./C2_R1_thout/accepted_hits.bam


                            Note that there is a space after each backslash symbol, and I was told that "\ " was interpreted as changing to a new line.
                            After I deleted the space after each backslash, the job could be submitted and completed without a problem. I was told that backslash alone means "line continuation", which is needed in this case.

                            In short, delete the space after each backslash, which may make a big difference (and in fact solved my problem).
                            Last edited by cchang; 01-17-2018, 01:31 PM.

                            Comment

                            Latest Articles

                            Collapse

                            • SEQadmin2
                              New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
                              by SEQadmin2


                              Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

                              We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing
                              ...
                              Today, 10:25 AM
                            • SEQadmin2
                              How Immunogenomics Decodes Immunity’s Genetic Blueprint
                              by SEQadmin2




                              The immune system’s power comes from its genetic diversity, allowing myriad threats to be neutralized through first recognizing foreign antigens. That diversity is also what makes the immune system so difficult to study. Recent advances in sequencing technology and computational biology, however, are giving researchers new tools to understand immune responses and immune-related diseases in greater detail.

                              This convergence of genetics, immunology, and computation...
                              09-01-2026, 05:41 AM

                            ad_right_rmr

                            Collapse

                            News

                            Collapse

                            Topics Statistics Last Post
                            Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
                            0 responses
                            27 views
                            0 reactions
                            Last Post SEQadmin2  
                            Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
                            0 responses
                            24 views
                            0 reactions
                            Last Post SEQadmin2  
                            Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
                            1 response
                            46 views
                            0 reactions
                            Last Post pekgio
                            by pekgio
                             
                            Started by SEQadmin2, 09-16-2026, 10:23 AM
                            1 response
                            55 views
                            0 reactions
                            Last Post pekgio
                            by pekgio
                             
                            Working...