Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• paired end fastq format in bwa

In some examples that I've read for using bwa to analyze paired end data, a fastq for each member of the pair is included (in other words, R1.fastq and R2.fastq). Will bwa handle paired end data that is in a single fastq? The reads are denoted with \1 and \2.

Originally posted by Protaeus View Post
    In some examples that I've read for using bwa to analyze paired end data, a fastq for each member of the pair is included (in other words, R1.fastq and R2.fastq). Will bwa handle paired end data that is in a single fastq? The reads are denoted with \1 and \2.
    AFAIK no, it won't. You may separate reads into two different files, I guess with

Code:
    $ grep -A2 ^@*1 filein.fq > reads_1.fq
    $ grep -A2 ^@*2 filein.fq > reads_2.fq
    d

Comment

Originally posted by dawe View Post
      AFAIK no, it won't. You may separate reads into two different files, I guess with

Code:
      $ grep -A2 ^@*1 filein.fq > reads_1.fq
      $ grep -A2 ^@*2 filein.fq > reads_2.fq
      d
      Not quite. First, FASTQ sets are four lines long so you have to collect the matched line and the 3 following (-A3). Your regular expression means "match 0 or more "@" at the beginning of a line, followed by a 1 (or 2). You need to specify an "@" followed by 0 or more of any character (.*). You are also not anchoring the 1 or 2 to the end of the line. Finally need to enclose the regular expression in quotes. To get what you intended it should be:

Code:
      $ grep -A3 ^"@.*1"$ filein.fq > reads_1.fq
      $ grep -A3 ^"@.*2"$ filein.fq > reads_2.fq
      There is however a hidden gotcha in this method. @, 1 and 2 are valid characters for the quality string if the FASTQ is Sanger (or Illumina prior to 1.5). This means that your grep could match a quality string and then write it and the next three lines as a FASTQ block. This will cause whatever program was trying to parse this to puke (from personal experience).

In a random FASTQ file of ~20m reads I found 511 quality strings which were matched by these grep patterns. An incredibly small fraction to be sure but you need one to screw up your FASTQ file.

Comment

For the reasons kmcarr gives (and other issues like this), personally I'd use a simple script using Biopython, BioPerl or similar rather than grep.

Comment

Originally posted by maubp View Post
          For the reasons kmcarr gives (and other issues like this), personally I'd use a simple script using Biopython, BioPerl or similar rather than grep.
          I wrote the wrong grep expression, my bad. Indeed I used to grep @XXXX where XXXX is my machine ID for most of the operations... Also, bwa doesn't use quality for alignment (so it will work with A1 or A3).
          Nevertheless, I believe grep is much faster than any bioperl/biopython script.

d

Comment

Hi. Just found this post in the GATK forum: http://gatkforums.broadinstitute.org...o-fastq-format
            Essentially, you can use BWA with interleaved BAM files containing info from both pairs. I know that was not exactly the question, but it is related, and hopefully will save time for some (as with my case).

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
            • seqadmin
              Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
              by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
              Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
              03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
            0 responses