No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using Mosaik to assemble bacterial genome 454 sequencing

Hi all,

I decided to check out the alignment package Mosaik to create an assembly of a bacterial genome that we are working on. Usually we just use Newbler to create de novo assemblies (and in fact we already have). We've sequenced 12 strains of the same species, using 454 titanium (not paired end). We then, after assembly, closed two of the genomes on the bench with PCR. I'd like to reduce the number of contigs in the other strains by using the closed genomes as reference sequences. Well, also I'd like to get the assemblies into SAM format, since Newbler doesn't support that as output yet.

Mosaik is the first one I've been looking at, but I'm having an issue. I create the reference using one of the closed genomes (fasta file consisting of a single contig, no quality information) with this command:
    ./MosaikBuild -fr B475.fasta -oa B475.dat

Then I create the input file for the sequence fragments from one of our runs (leading sequence i.e. MIDs etc stripped):
    ./MosaikBuild -fr B476.fasta -st 454 -out B476.dat -fq B476.qual

Both of the above commands appear to work fine, however using the command:
    ./MosaikAligner -in B476.dat -out B475_B476_aligned.dat -ia B475.dat

Nets this problem (end of output):
    Alignment statistics (mates):
    ===================================
    # failed hash: 1774 ( 35.9 %)
    # filtered out: 3169 ( 64.1 %)
    -----------------------------------
    total: 4943
    total aligned: 0 ( 0.0 %)

MosaikAligner CPU time: 39.200 s, wall time: 40.548 s

If I change some of the stats to be more forgiving, i.e. add the flags:
    -hs 12 -mm 10

None of the sequences "failed hash", but they are still all filtered out. Am I doing something obviously wrong? The Alignment statistics (mates) title worries me, since this isn't mated pair reads, just single ends. Ideas?

~josh

I have the same problem here, even if using illumina paired-end reads. Someone knows how to solve this issue?

Comment

You might also look at various assemblers designed specifically for this, such as MIRA.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
        by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
        04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
      • seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
      0 responses