Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bfast temporary file problem

Hi, I have a weird problem with the bfast match step on Fedora 14. It looks something like this:

bfast match -f refGenome.fna -r /home/proj/data/reads/4.fastq

Searching for main indexes...
    Found 1 index (1 file).
    Not using secondary indexes.
    Reading in reference genome from refGenome.fna.nt.brg.
    In total read 10 contigs for a total of 1000000000 bases
    Reading /home/proj/data/reads/4.fastq into a temp file.
    In function "OpenTmpGZFile": Fatal Error[OpenFileError]. Variable/Value: ./.bfast.tmp.2QJsyX.
    The file stream error was:: No such file or directory
    ***** Exiting due to errors *****
    Its not about the writing rights of the tmpDir, as full writing rights don't seem to help. Do I miss something obvious..?
    Thanks in advance.

Do you have enough space in the filesystem where your current dir is mounted?
    -drd

Comment

Yes, definitely...

Comment

Are you running this interactively or you send the job to a cluster node?
        The reason why I am asking is because when the later, sometimes the filesystems
        are not available or the working directory changes.

The error is coming from BLib.c (line 549). Capture the error code from
        zlib's gzdopen and print it. Then check with the list of error codes from zlib to see if
        you get an explanation of what is happening.
        -drd

Comment

Hi drio, thanks for your help! I am testing the single commands interactively. The filesystem is mounted via nfs; could this be a problem? However, it seemed to work before; no idea what has changed.

Thanks for the hint about BLib.c (question: how do you find out where the error is? via something like "for file in ls: echo filename; cat filename | grep errormessage"?). It seems that the temporary file is created but cannot be handled by gzdopen and the file pointer fp is NULL?

I have no experience with capturing error code, but doesnt the message "The file stream error was:: No such file or directory" contain the error description which belongs to the error code contained in the global "errno"?

Comment

For some reason, you are not allowed to open a new file in that directory. That could be for a number of reasons, including space, permissions, # of file handles open at one time, etc. I would instead use the "-T" option to specify the temporary directory to a place with a lot space and where you have permission to create new files.

Comment

Hi Nils, thank you. I already tried to use -T to specify a Temp directory in my home folder with full writing permissions (777), it didn't help. At least now I know what it is all about; if I find out something, I will let you know.

Comment

I suggest you ask your friendly sysadmin. I am pretty sure it has to with your environment.
                -drd

Comment

I have the same problem with bfast match and Fedora 14. With Fedora 13 the bfast steps performed well.

This is my error message.

Code:
                  Searching for main indexes...
                  Found 10 index (10 total files).
                  Not using secondary indexes.
                  Reading in reference genome from /tmp/ref_Genome.fna
                  In total read 1 contigs for a total of 3218031 bases
                  Reading /tmp/reads.fastq into a temp file.
                  In function "OpenTmpGZFile": Fatal Error[OpenFileError]. Variable/Value: /tmp/.bfast.tmp.3fC7L9.
                  Done
                  Some additional ideas and search for the problem hints that the filename might be wrong:

Code:
                  # ls -l /tmp/
                  -rw-------   1          0 Jan  3 15:41 .bfast.tmp.g0h0r7
                  This file is created before the error.

I assume somehow the file created has a different name than the stream which was read.

Comment

Thanks for bringing this up (on this one thread). Let me see if I can install a VM with fedora14 and reproduce the problem.
                    -drd

Comment

sammy07, athomma,

Could you please try the git version? That should fix the issue.

Code:
                      $ git clone git://bfast.git.sourceforge.net/gitroot/bfast/bfast
                      $ sh ./autogen.sh && ./configure && make
                      Thanks.
                      -drd

Comment

Thanks

Thank you for the solution.

The git version works for me.

Bye

Comment

Hi,

We are experiencing the same problem described in this post:

Reading /bessemer/fatakias/p2_reads.708.fastq into a temp file.
                          ************************************************************
                          ^MIn function "OpenTmpGZFile": Fatal Error[OpenFileError]. Variable/Value: ./.bfast.tmp.mXabZb.
                          ************************************************************

The same thing happens no matter what filesystem we run from (i.e. permissions and space are not the problem). We have used the latest git version, but this does not solve the problem. We are running on an SGI Altix UV system running SLES 11 with an SGI-modified linux kernel. More info about the machine can be found here: blacklight.psc.edu

Comment

I found the same error info in a CentOS 5.5 server(4-way,xeon, 64G ram), with galaxy integrated, when make check. I had all the related packages rebuild from src files.
                            I found that 'bfast temporary OpenFileError OpenTmpGZFile openfile error' only accept bfast index -depth=0. and this error was due to the index step. it can also make the match work with the index files built in another machine .
                            Hope this can be helpful.
                            Index code
                            Code:
                             btestindexes -A 1 -r 50 -s 20 -S 10000  -l 24 -a 0 -w 30 -n 20 -E 2  -f hg19.fa
                             bfast index -A 1 -d 0 -w 15 -n 1  -m 11111111011110111111111111 -t 1 -f hg19.fa -T /media/_people2/tmp/

Last edited by cheney; 09-28-2011, 09:13 PM.

Comment

I have the same problem with the newest version of bfast (0.7.0b).

The problem was solved by following the instruction I found in this link.
                              http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/f...ame=bfast-help

What I did is to change the line 553 in BLib.c file from:

NULL == (fp = gzdopen(fd, ZLIB_VERNUM >= 0x1250 ? "ab" : "wb+"))) {

to:

NULL == (fp = gzdopen(fd, "ab"))) {

By the way, my zlib version is 1.26.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                              • seqadmin
                                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post seqadmin  
                              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                              0 responses