No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flag=4 in SAM

Hi all,

As I understood from the SAM-BAM specification if the flag has a value of 4 it is an unmapped read.
    In my SAM file I see lines that contain a flag with a 4 value, but also a mapping to a specific location in a scaffold (see below).

What am I missing here? Are these reads aligned or not?

Thanks!
    Rachelly.

HWUSI-EAS1701:5:43:18320:19669#0 4 scaffold_1 2409915 37 26M1I11M * 0 0 ATTTTATAATAATTATTATAATTTTTAAATATTATATA ggggcgggfgggggagggdgggggcgff_ggggggggg XT:A:U NM:i:3 X0:i:1 X1:i:0 XM:i
    :2 XO:i:1 XG:i:1 MD:Z:27T8T0
    HWUSI-EAS1701:5:50:10811:4208#0 4 scaffold_1 2409937 37 4M1D34M * 0 0 ATATTTATTATATTAATAAATTAATAAATAATTATAAT hhhhhhhhhchfhgaddhhhfghhhhhhghghghhhhg XT:A:U NM:i:3 X0:i:1 X1:i:0 XM:i:1 XO:i:1 XG:i
    :1 MD:Z:0T1T1^A34
    HWUSI-EAS1701:5:71:15668:16046#0 4 scaffold_1 2409937 37 4M1D34M * 0 0 ATATTTATTATATTAATAAATTAATAAATAATTATAAT cgggdgfgggggdg_fffffgggggggggfgggggggg XT:A:U NM:i:3 X0:i:1 X1:i:0 XM:i:1 XO:i
    :1 XG:i:1 MD:Z:0T1T1^A34

From the bwa FAQ:

Q. I see a read stands out the end of a chromosome and is flagged as unmapped (flag 0x4). What is happening here?

A. Internally BWA concatenates all reference sequences into one long sequence. A read may be mapped to the junction of two adjacent reference sequences. In this case, BWA will flag the read as unmapped, but you will see position, CIGAR and all the tags. A better solution would be to choose an alternative position or trim the alignment out of the end, but this is quite complicated in programming and is not implemented at the moment.
    -drd

Comment

Thanks very much drio!

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
      • seqadmin
        Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
        by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
        Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
        03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
      0 responses