No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BioPython with Macports?

Hi all,

Anyone have an idea how I might fix this? I've installed biopython and dependencies using macports and it seems to have worked. I don't, however, seem to be able to specify the right PYTHONPATH.

Here's where Macports says my package should be!

Code:
    $ port location py26-biopython
    Warning: port definitions are more than two weeks old, consider using selfupdate
    Port py26-biopython 1.56_0 is installed as an image in:
    /opt/local/var/macports/software/py26-biopython/1.56_0
    Any thoughts much appreciated!
    Lizzy

Hi Lizzy,
    Besides the fact you can install biopython using setuptools (best way to do it!) without messing your system with an additional python installation under /opt/local

Code:
    $ sudo easy_install -U biopython
    I believe you should check that you are using the python installed in /opt/local/bin (or in /opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/bin), i.e.

Code:
    $ which python
    d

Comment

So I tried using easy_install but got some errors that I didn't really understand. Any idea what might be going wrong here?

Code:
      $ sudo easy_install -U biopython
      Password:
      Searching for biopython
      Reading http://pypi.python.org/simple/biopython/
      Reading http://www.biopython.org/
      Reading http://biopython.org/DIST/
      Best match: biopython 1.56
      Downloading http://biopython.org/DIST/biopython-1.56.zip
      Processing biopython-1.56.zip
      Running biopython-1.56/setup.py -q bdist_egg --dist-dir /tmp/easy_install-4FnbiD/biopython-1.56/egg-dist-tmp-H4avLI
      warning: no previously-included files found matching 'Tests/Graphics/*.pdf'
      warning: no previously-included files found matching 'Tests/Graphics/*.eps'
      warning: no previously-included files found matching 'Tests/Graphics/*.svg'
      warning: no previously-included files found matching 'Tests/Graphics/*.png'
      warning: no previously-included files matching '*' found under directory 'Tests/UnitTests'
      warning: no previously-included files matching '.cvsignore' found under directory '*'
      warning: no previously-included files matching '.gitignore' found under directory '*'
      warning: no previously-included files matching '*.pyc' found under directory '*'
      cc1: error: unrecognized command line option "-Wno-long-double"
      error: Setup script exited with error: command 'gcc' failed with exit status 1
      It seems that I'm using the /opt/local/bin/python...

Comment

Originally posted by ewilbanks View Post
        So I tried using easy_install but got some errors that I didn't really understand. Any idea what might be going wrong here?
        Have you installed Apple's XCode (for gcc etc), including the optional the 10.4 headers, as recommended here?: http://biopython.org/wiki/Download

Comment

Assuming you already have a working gcc installation (otherwise you couldn't have installed macports...), that depends on gcc: -Wno-long-double is not a gcc4 flag. You can remove it from $BASECFLAGS variable in /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Current/lib/python2.6/config/Makefile (or whatever is the path on your system).

d

Comment

Hi Lizzy,

I've installed biopython and dependencies using macports and it seems to have worked. I don't, however, seem to be able to specify the right PYTHONPATH.
            The installation seems to have worked fine. You only have to make sure now to call the Python interpreter which was used for your Biopython installation (which most likely was /opt/local/bin/python2.6. OS X comes bundled with a Python interpreter, but that's not the one which was used.

Try the following
            Code:
            $ /opt/local/bin/python2.6
            >>> from Bio import SeqIO
            and see if it works.

Andreas

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
            • seqadmin
              Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
              by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
              Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
              03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:37 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:07 PM
            0 responses