No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gene Calling

Hey everybody,

I have a rather stupid question. How do people commonly associate known genes with large numbers of mapped regions in the genome? I.e. I have large numbers of chromosomal locations (something like "chr42 1313131313 +") and want to know which (if any) known gene this corresponds to. This is such an obvious problem that everybody here must be facing, yet I haven't been able to find a tool or anything to quickly do that. Of course, I could just write a script to do that, I suppose, but I'd like to save myself some work :-).

Thanks!

-Charlie

Hi Charlie,

I have a very simple class called FindFeatures that I'm working on, which is available as open source code (http://vancouvershortr.sourceforge.net). Because it's relatively early in the development cycle, there isn't much documentation for it yet (though, if there was interest, I could change that.)

Essentially, the code uses the Ensembl database to find genes which overlap with regions of interest - no matter how big or small that overlap is, at the moment.

If you know java, you could quickly figure out the command lines from the code. Otherwise, I could put together some instructions, if you're interested.

Anthony
    The more you know, the more you know you don't know. —Aristotle

Comment

For higher organism you can use the perl API in Ensembl, it's very powerful and easy to use. You can simple give it a chromosomal region like you have and it will tell you which genes it overlaps with. I like it lots.

For lower organisms I don't know of an equivalent resource; I'd love to know if there is one!

Comment

Since Chris mentions it, I may as well be clear; the utility I proposed above is just a Java Ensembl API implementation, which is very similar to the perl one. (They both use the same database.) I'm not a big fan of perl for code re-use issues, but you'll get the same result.
        The more you know, the more you know you don't know. —Aristotle

Comment

Or you can upload your dataset to UCSC genome browser (upload custom track) and then use the table browser to intersect your ROIs with various annotations

this should give you an idea of how to start

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
            by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
            04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
          • seqadmin
            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
          0 responses