Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • swbarnes2
    Senior Member
    • May 2008
    • 910

    #1

    Qualities in pileup disagree with qualities in fastq

    I have a pileup from samtools (an mpileup too, but they agree with each other) that shows very odd quality scores. My fastq and .sam agree that the quality scores of the letters in the read range from B to h, which is normal.

    The fastq and the .sam agree that the quality of the reads falling across a certain locus are quite high. But the quality scores of the pileup are strange. They range from ! to h, and certain positions are uniformly low, sometimes extremely so.

    Here's a sample: The mixed SNP are 4107 looks awful based on the pileup, but going back to the original reads, the quality is great for C's and A's in that position. When I use an older version of samtools (0.1.7) on the same .bam, the pileup qualities are correct. When I use pileup in 0.1.12a, it looks like it does below, and the qualities are wrong.

    chr2 69574093 G G 111 0 36 28 .,...,.,..,.,,..,.,,.,,..,.. QhhfchhhhhhhhhhahhghhhhhehNN
    chr2 69574094 A A 111 0 36 28 .,...,.,..,.,,..,.,,.,,..,.. OhhgShhhhhhfhhc]fgghhhhfehNN
    chr2 69574095 G G 111 0 36 28 .,...,.,..,.,,..,.,,.,,..,.. NhhgahhhhhhhhhhbhhghhhhhchOO
    chr2 69574096 A A 111 0 36 28 .,...,.,..,.,,..,.,,.,,..,.. NhhfWhhhghhhhhh`hhgghhhhfhQQ
    chr2 69574097 G G 114 0 36 29 .$,...,.,..,.,,..,.,,.,,..,..^F. DhhgahhhhhhhehhadhghhhhhahRRD
    chr2 69574098 A A 111 0 36 28 ,...,.,..,.,,..,.,,.,,..,... hhdYhhhghhhehhahgghhhggchUUI
    chr2 69574099 T T 111 0 36 28 ,...,.,..,.,,..,.,,.,,..,... aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa_
    chr2 69574100 T T 114 0 36 29 ,...,.,..,.,,..,.,,.,,..,...^F, _aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaE
    chr2 69574101 G G 117 0 36 30 ,...,.,..,.,,..,.,,.,,..,...,^F, UhgchhhhhhhehhcchfhhhhhfhhhgUE
    chr2 69574102 A A 123 0 36 32 ,$...,.,..,.,,..,.,,.,,..,...,,^F.^:, >EMY\\O\\\O5OPPPO\O\\POP\OS\\U?@
    chr2 69574103 A A 120 0 36 31 ...,.,..,.,,..,.,,.,,..,...,,., BJZZZLZZZL2LMMMLZLZZMLMZLPZZ[AA
    chr2 69574104 A A 103 0 36 31 ...,.,..,.c,..,.,,.,,..,...,,., AFZZZJZZZK0KKKKKZKZZKKKZKNZZ[BB
    chr2 69574105 A A 120 0 36 32 .$..,.,..,.,,..,.,,.,,..,...,,.,^:. ?:\\\?\\\@5@@@@@\@\\@@@\@D\\]E?#
    chr2 69574106 C C 75 0 37 33 ..,.,..,.,,..,.,,.,,..,...,,.,.^:.^F, %^^a!aaa!J!!!!!a!aa!!!a!'aaaa!#!B
    chr2 69574107 C C 78 0 37 35 A$.,.a..,A,aAAaA,a.,aAA,AA.,,.aAA,^F.^:a !UUa!aaa!\!!!!!`!aa!!!a!%aaaa!!!EE!
    chr2 69574108 A A 78 0 37 34 .$,$.,..,.,,..,.,,.,,..,...,,.,..,., CCU!ehh!h!!!!!Z!hh!!!h!'ghhh!!$cU!
    chr2 69574109 G G 123 0 35 32 .,..,.,,..,.,,.,,..,...,,.,..,., R4bhhPhPPPPPgPhhQPQhPTghhhQGPhe?
    chr2 69574110 A A 123 0 35 32 .$,$..,.,,..,.,,.,,..,...,,.,..,., >4>\\P\PPPPP\P\\QPP\PT\\\\PPR\\A
    chr2 69574111 A A 117 0 35 30 .$.,.,,..,.,,.,,..,...,,.,..,., ;ZZVZVVVVVZVZZWVWZVXZZZZWUYZZD
    chr2 69574112 A A 114 0 35 29 .,.,,..,.,,.,,..,...,,.,..,., YYYZYYYYYZYZZYYYZYZZZZZYYYZZO
    chr2 69574113 A A 117 0 35 30 .,.,,..,.,,.,,..,...,,.,..,.,^F. TT\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\SE
    chr2 69574114 C C 117 0 35 30 .,.,,..,.,,.,,..,...,,.,..,.,. RRhhhhgghghhhahZghhchhhfhhhhhR
    chr2 69574115 A A 117 0 35 30 .$,$.,,..,.,,.,,..,...,,.,..,.,. DDhhhhghgahhhgeVhhhghhhfhhghhU
    chr2 69574116 G G 114 0 35 29 .,,..,.,,.,,..,...,,.,..,.,.^F. hhbh`fhghhhhhOhfhghhgahhhhhhE
    chr2 69574117 A A 117 0 35 30 .,,..,.,,.,,..,...,,.,..,.,..^:, ah_cchhghhhdgThghghhhdhhhhhhU@
    chr2 69574118 T T 111 0 35 30 .,,..,.,,.,,.C,...,,.,..,.,.., Bh2PQQQgQhgQ+-hQQahhhVQQhhQhbB
    chr2 69574119 G G 114 0 35 31 .,,..,.,,.,,..,...,,.,..,.,..,^F. 0e/LMMMgMghM'-hMMghhhRMMfhMheAB
    chr2 69574120 C C 72 0 37 32 .,,..,.,,.,,..,...,,.,..,.,..,.^F. ,E+!!!!a!aa!$+a!!aaaa'!!aa!aa!BB
    chr2 69574121 C C 75 0 37 33 T$,$tTTtT,t.,tTT,TT.,,.tTT,.t..t..^F. !A!!!!!a!aa!!+a!!aaaa'!!aa!aa!BEE
    chr2 69574122 G G 117 0 35 32 ,$..,.,,.,,..,...,,.,..,.,..,...^:. !;<;;g;hh;!0h;;ahhh@;;gh;hh;BbRE
    chr2 69574123 C C 117 0 35 31 ..,.,,.,,..,...,,.,..,.,..,.... ;<;;g;hh;!2h;;dggh@;;hh;hh;BeUQ
    chr2 69574124 T T 120 0 34 32 ..,.,,.,,C.,...,,.,..,.,..,....^:. AQQQgQhhQ!7hQQdhhhVQQhhQhhPBgheE
    chr2 69574125 A A 126 0 34 33 .$.,.,,.,,..,...,,.,..,.,..,.....^:. @dhhfhghfNahhfdghhdhhhhhhhhBeghUE
    Last edited by swbarnes2; 01-10-2011, 03:24 PM. Reason: adding more information
  • cram
    Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 16

    #2
    I have a very similar problem and it seems to affect not only the pileup output but the VCF as well.

    I have a site which appears to be a SNP on visual inspection - all five reads at the location are T rather than the reference C. The base qualities at the site are very high in the fastq and SAM. The mapping qualities for the reads are also very good. The pileup however claims that the qualities of the bases at that site are all 0.

    The VCF fails to recognize the existence of an alternate base at this location and has all '0' values for the I16 and PL fields. The '0' values also occur at the following two bases. This is not the output of bcftool's variant detection, this is just the raw output of samtools mpileup -ugf.

    Here's what the VCF looks like (putative SNP is at 24,335,869):

    Code:
    Chr5    24335868        .       G       X       0       .       DP=6;I16=5,1,0,0,172,5060,0,0,222,8214,0,0,78,1796,0,0  PL      0,18,130
    Chr5    24335869        .       C       X       0       .       DP=5;I16=0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0        PL      0,0,0
    Chr5    24335870        .       T       X       0       .       DP=4;I16=0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0        PL      0,0,0
    Chr5    24335871        .       T       X       0       .       DP=4;I16=0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0        PL      0,0,0
    Chr5    24335872        .       C       X       0       .       DP=4;I16=3,1,0,0,220,12100,0,0,148,5476,0,0,76,1626,0,0 PL      0,12,129
    Can anyone explain why this is occurring?

    Comment

    • swbarnes2
      Senior Member
      • May 2008
      • 910

      #3
      Yes, the vcf would be affected, since it's the same mpileup program. And that's how I caught this; I had a list of variants from the old pileup software, then I updated to the new software, and some old SNPs were not in the vcf. When I checked the new pileup, I saw that it thought that the quality of the SNPs was crap, so I tried to see why the old variant caller had allowed it, and then I realized that the old variant caller was correctly assigning the quality scores, while the new pileup and mpileup were making them far lower than the fastq. Maybe it's doing that for a reason? Related to mapping quality? But I can't see how or why.

      Comment

      • csoong
        Member
        • Jun 2009
        • 74

        #4
        was illumina quality converted to standard sanger quality?

        Comment

        • swbarnes2
          Senior Member
          • May 2008
          • 910

          #5
          I used the sam2vcf.pl script in the misc folder, and that seems to be working properly, giving it the results of the older version of pileup, where the letter qualities match the fastq, instead of the altered quality scores in the mpileup or pileup. I checked, and the good mixed SNPs that were visible in my old pileup variant file, and not in the new pileup or mpileup files (or the vcfs derived from those) are now visible. Unfortunately, that perl script makes vcf files in an older version; 3.3, instead of 4.0.

          But it's a decent workaround.

          But does anyone know why the letter quality scores in the new pileups and mpileups don't match the letter quality scores from the fastq?

          Comment

          • cram
            Member
            • Nov 2008
            • 16

            #6
            I've managed to get the correct quality values by specifying the -B option to samtools mpileup, which disables the "probabilistic realignment for the computation of BAQ". So I'm guessing that mpileup believes there is a misalignment occurring due to an indel. However, when I look at the alignment in IGV it's clearly a SNP, with no indel in sight.

            Comment

            • swbarnes2
              Senior Member
              • May 2008
              • 910

              #7
              Originally posted by cram View Post
              I've managed to get the correct quality values by specifying the -B option to samtools mpileup, which disables the "probabilistic realignment for the computation of BAQ". So I'm guessing that mpileup believes there is a misalignment occurring due to an indel. However, when I look at the alignment in IGV it's clearly a SNP, with no indel in sight.
              Ah, I wondered if that setting was germane. I guess it is. And the same with my sequence. The reads look like they align fine to the reference as is, no indel there.

              Thanks.

              Comment

              • lh3
                Senior Member
                • Feb 2008
                • 686

                #8
                1. BAQ will change the base quality.

                2. even if no reads are mapped with gaps, there may still be an indel in fact. One has to be experienced enough to tell if there is an indel.

                3. With BAQ, you usually get a couple of percent higher false negative rate, but gain greatly in specificity.

                4. The SVN version has a hidden option -E, which saves sensitivity a little.

                5. pileup is deprecated. use mpileup+bcftools instead.

                Comment

                • maubp
                  Peter (Biopython etc)
                  • Jul 2009
                  • 1544

                  #9
                  Originally posted by swbarnes2 View Post
                  I have a pileup from samtools (an mpileup too, but they agree with each other) that shows very odd quality scores. My fastq and .sam agree that the quality scores of the letters in the read range from B to h, which is normal.
                  No, that isn't normal.

                  A SAM file should be using Sanger FASTQ scores, but I suspect you have used an unconverted Illumina FASTQ since there B to h (ASCII 66 to 104) would mean PHRED quality 2 to 40 (ASCII offset 64).

                  If your read quality scores are from 2 to 40 (which is reasonable) the quality letters should be ASCI 35 to 73 (ASCII offset 33), or # to I.

                  See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FASTQ_format and http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/nar/gkp1137
                  Last edited by maubp; 01-13-2011, 12:10 PM. Reason: typo

                  Comment

                  • cram
                    Member
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 16

                    #10
                    2. even if no reads are mapped with gaps, there may still be an indel in fact. One has to be experienced enough to tell if there is an indel.

                    3. With BAQ, you usually get a couple of percent higher false negative rate, but gain greatly in specificity.
                    Is low coverage expected to have a serious adverse affect on the BAQ algorithm accuracy? I have a very large number of sites that are being given these low quality values, and I really cannot see how most of them are suspected of being indels. However, my data is very low coverage, with an average of only about 5x.

                    Comment

                    • swbarnes2
                      Senior Member
                      • May 2008
                      • 910

                      #11
                      Originally posted by maubp View Post
                      No, that isn't normal.

                      A SAM file should be using Sanger FASTQ scores, but I suspect you have used an unconverted Illumina FASTQ since there B to h (ASCII 66 to 104) would mean PHRED quality 2 to 40 (ASCII offset 64).

                      If your read quality scores are from 2 to 40 (which is reasonable) the quality letters should be ASCI 35 to 73 (ASCII offset 33), or # to I.
                      Ah, indeed I am. That might be confusing the software, so I'm converting now. I also plan to check some of the SNPs that mpileup refused to call when BAQ calcualtions were included, but mpileup with -B did call. Some of them make velvet contigs that agree with the SNP that was called with -B, which is modest evidence that the SNP is real, and should not be filtered away based on BAQ calculations.

                      Comment

                      Latest Articles

                      Collapse

                      • SEQadmin2
                        New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
                        by SEQadmin2


                        Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

                        We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing
                        ...
                        Yesterday, 10:25 AM
                      • SEQadmin2
                        How Immunogenomics Decodes Immunity’s Genetic Blueprint
                        by SEQadmin2




                        The immune system’s power comes from its genetic diversity, allowing myriad threats to be neutralized through first recognizing foreign antigens. That diversity is also what makes the immune system so difficult to study. Recent advances in sequencing technology and computational biology, however, are giving researchers new tools to understand immune responses and immune-related diseases in greater detail.

                        This convergence of genetics, immunology, and computation...
                        09-01-2026, 05:41 AM

                      ad_right_rmr

                      Collapse

                      News

                      Collapse

                      Topics Statistics Last Post
                      Started by SEQadmin2, Today, 09:51 AM
                      0 responses
                      10 views
                      0 reactions
                      Last Post SEQadmin2  
                      Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
                      0 responses
                      32 views
                      0 reactions
                      Last Post SEQadmin2  
                      Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
                      0 responses
                      27 views
                      0 reactions
                      Last Post SEQadmin2  
                      Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
                      1 response
                      48 views
                      0 reactions
                      Last Post pekgio
                      by pekgio
                       
                      Working...