Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Airwalker810
    Junior Member
    • Oct 2010
    • 6

    #1

    Help with FastQ/CASAVA format problems

    Hey all, a newbie here, and not sure if this is the appropriate place to post this but was wondering if I could get some help with an issue involving Illumina deepseq data. I'm trying to run a batch of deepseq data that we have recently got through CASAVA v 1.7 and align it to a genome. The file is formated in .fastq and the reads look like this:



    @6:1:1410:944:N
    NNNNCAAACACAAAGTTACCTAAACTATAGAAGTCAAACA
    +
    ####&&()''@@@@@@8@@@31888@@@@@3885817775



    However, when I try to run it through the program, it gives the following error:



    Could not identify index of the following line:
    *********************************
    6:1:1410:944:N
    *********************************

    Please check your files, we expect the following syntax:
    <machine-id>_<run-number>(flow_cell-id):lane:tile:x:y#<index>:<pair>
    machine-id: all characters except '_'



    I realize this is a formating issue as CASAVA wants the file in the format of:



    @<machine_id>:<lane>:<tile>:<x_coord>:<y_coord>#<index
    >/<read_#>



    But am unsure how to go about fixing it. I'm pretty sure the machine_id is missing, as well as any information dealing with the index and read. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!
  • gaffa
    Member
    • Oct 2010
    • 82

    #2
    You could make a small script to chug through the file and add the machine id field (either the real one if you can acquire it, or else a made-up placeholder).

    Regarding the "#<index>:<pair>" fields, some more info on the experiment might be needed. Is this single-end or paired-end (and how many data files are there? Illumina paired-end data usually comes in paired files with each read pair positioned on corresponding lines in the files). Any multiplexing?

    Comment

    • Airwalker810
      Junior Member
      • Oct 2010
      • 6

      #3
      It is not paired ends, and I'm almost certain there is no multiplexing at all in the sample. A sample input would be great help. Thanks for the assistance!
      Last edited by Airwalker810; 01-12-2011, 06:57 AM.

      Comment

      • gaffa
        Member
        • Oct 2010
        • 82

        #4
        If it's single-end and no multiplexing, then you have all the information you need and it should just be a matter of formatting the ID line to make your program happy. The program is expecting read ID lines to look like this:

        @ILxx_1234:1:1:1103:6172#1/1
        @ILxx_1234:1:1:1103:16929#7/1
        @ILxx_1234:1:1:1103:13497#2/2

        where the first field is the ID/name of the machine that performed the experiment followed by the run number, the number after the "#" is the sample ID (if there are multiple samples) and the number after the "/" is the pair info for paired-end experiments (so it's either 1 or 2). If the program really wants a machine name, I guess you could just make up a phony machine name (ILmymachine_0001 or something more clever or whatever) for the first field. And since you have only a single sample, if the program really wants an index I guess you could just add "#1" after the y-coordinate (removing the ":N" part - I'm not sure what it signifies). For the pair-info, my guess is that you can just leave that info out (i.e. simply skip the "/1" part) and the program will treat the data as single-end.

        (NOTE: I don't know anything about CASAVA - as I understand things it is Illumina's own program that can do a bunch of stuff. It's not inconceivable that CASAVA itself can generate the correct ID lines from lower level files - but again I don't know much about the pre-fastq pipeline.)

        If you know a little Perl or Python scripting you should be able to make those changes to the ID lines to make CASAVA accept them - however this is just a quick-and-dirty practical fix, I don't know the underlying reason why your read ID lines look they way they do (maybe whoever generated the files does).

        Comment

        • Airwalker810
          Junior Member
          • Oct 2010
          • 6

          #5
          Thanks for the help, should make things a bit easier with a little scripting. Yeah, I'm not sure what the deal with this data is, as I said, it was outsourced, and it came back looking like this mess. No idea why specific lines are missing from the data. My lab just procured a DeepSeq machine and I'm trying to force the data through that pipeline to make everything from the past and future work on the same analysis program.

          Comment

          Latest Articles

          Collapse

          • SEQadmin2
            New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
            by SEQadmin2


            Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

            We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing
            ...
            Yesterday, 10:25 AM
          • SEQadmin2
            How Immunogenomics Decodes Immunity’s Genetic Blueprint
            by SEQadmin2




            The immune system’s power comes from its genetic diversity, allowing myriad threats to be neutralized through first recognizing foreign antigens. That diversity is also what makes the immune system so difficult to study. Recent advances in sequencing technology and computational biology, however, are giving researchers new tools to understand immune responses and immune-related diseases in greater detail.

            This convergence of genetics, immunology, and computation...
            09-01-2026, 05:41 AM

          ad_right_rmr

          Collapse

          News

          Collapse

          Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
          0 responses
          31 views
          0 reactions
          Last Post SEQadmin2  
          Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
          0 responses
          25 views
          0 reactions
          Last Post SEQadmin2  
          Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
          1 response
          46 views
          0 reactions
          Last Post pekgio
          by pekgio
           
          Started by SEQadmin2, 09-16-2026, 10:23 AM
          1 response
          55 views
          0 reactions
          Last Post pekgio
          by pekgio
           
          Working...