No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Find SNP in 454HCDiffs.txt

Hey there,

I mapped my reads against a reference consisting of the isotigs of the de novo assembly of the same reads. I'm wondering now if the follwoing approach is really sufficient to detect SNPs in the 454HCDiff.txt:
    - get the summary line of each diff: grep '>' 454HCDiffs.txt
    - check if the start and end position are identical (SNPs need to be at the same position in the reference)
    - check if neither the ref nucleotide nor the var nucleotide is only a gap

- check if the var nucleotide length is 1

Regards,
    Thomas
    Last edited by dschika; 01-18-2011, 03:46 AM.

Yes, that approach will give you a list of putative SNP/SNVs.

But you will want to do further filtering (e.g. on read depth, quality) to get a more trusted set of SNPs.

Comment

Thanks for your quick reply!

I thought it would be sufficient to take the 454HCDiffs.txt file, because of the High Confidence. That means that (please see the manual for full details):
      - there must be at least 3 non-duplicate reads with the difference
      - there must be forward and reverse reads with the difference, unless there are at least 5 reads with quality score over 20

Do you think that those filtering options are still too smooth? Can you perhaps suggest some other values?

Btw: I added another step in my first post.

Comment

It will depend on a number of factors. For example if you have greater coverage then you might want to set the read depth cut-off higher. It will depend also on the quality of your reference genome - that might have errors in it. You need to take a view depending on what you are trying to do.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
        • seqadmin
          Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
          by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
          Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
          03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:37 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:07 PM
        0 responses