Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BWA crashes in Fedora

Lately I changed OS from Ubuntu to Fedora (KDE) (both 64bit).
    While in Ubuntu BWA worked perfectly it now crashes while trying to align a 7.4GB Illumina fastQ file which I could align perfectly in Ubuntu.

The output is

Code:
    [bwa_aln] 17bp reads: max_diff = 2
    [bwa_aln] 38bp reads: max_diff = 3
    [bwa_aln] 64bp reads: max_diff = 4
    [bwa_aln] 93bp reads: max_diff = 5
    [bwa_aln] 124bp reads: max_diff = 6
    [bwa_aln] 157bp reads: max_diff = 7
    [bwa_aln] 190bp reads: max_diff = 8
    [bwa_aln] 225bp reads: max_diff = 9
    [bwa_aln_core] calculate SA coordinate... Segmentation fault (core dumped)
    I use 16GB quadcore 64bit Fedora 14 and I tried every bwa version from 0.5.6 to 0.5.9.

The command was:
    Code:
    bwa aln ~/RefSeq/hg19_070510/Chromosomes/hg19.fa test.fq > test.aln
    Any help appreciated (looking in your direction lh3...)

I had the same problem (BWA on Fedora 13) and gave up on it for a long time. Then someone passed me a BLOG link:

Here's what I use for bwa alignment (without removing PCR dups). You can replace the paths with your own and put into a bash script for au...

My problem seemed to be i was using a solid2fastq script from a different program (BFAST i think. Why was i doing this, because it is C-compiled therefore much faster!). Once i used solid2fast from the BWA package it started working.

I hope this helps!

Comment

Thank you for your help.
      I was just too stupid for reading the manual. I did new indexing of the genome with the -a is argument which is not recommended for large genomes. After applying the -a bwt option in indexing, alignment worked.

Comment

Dear all,

I got this error message, too, when running bwa samse (bwa-0.5.9rc1):

Code:
        [bwa_aln_core] refine gapped alignments... Segmentation fault (core dumped)
        however, the difference to the previous posts is that
        1. my original SOLiD reads were reformatted using bwa's solid2fastq.pl alright, and
        2. I ran a batch of 12 samples that were processed all the same way. Only 7 gave this error, 5 were processed without error.

Any ideas why this happens will be appreciated.

thanks,
        Sophia

Comment

Let me reply to my own question:

What happened is that the solid2fastq script obviously did not process the reads completely (as a part of the batch process).
          Funnily enough, the last read of the fastq file being incomplete did not prevent bwa aln to run and generate a .sai file.
          Only in the bwa samse step, this caused trouble and led to said error message.

Hope this helps.

cheers,
          Sophia

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
          • seqadmin
            Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
            by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
            Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
            03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
          0 responses