Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Assembling pooled BACs from 454 data

We have a 454 titanium run of ~50 pooled BACs. Not bar-coded. Not paired-end. Two clonal lines. Previously mostly unsequenced genome. Genome is undoubtedly repetitive. BACs could overlap.

I am having trouble assembling the BACs. Newbler runs but then hangs in the 'deconvoluting step'. The TIGR EST clustering pipeline -- hey, I figured this was like an EST program only with bigger "ESTs" -- is throwing most of the reads into one contig even after masking out vector, adapters, etc. Of course ideally one would like to see 50 or so contigs which could then be assembled.

Does anyone have any papers to read or ideas on how to extract these BACs from the 350 Mbase dataset? I guess that basically I need a good clustering method. After that the assembly itself should be simple.

Thanks,
    -- Rick

How about dividing sequences into small groups?

After assembling the each group and gathering the contigs, you can assemble the whole contigs one more time.

Using more stringent criteria such as higher homology and longer mimium overlaps can be an another approach.

Comment

Originally posted by mgenome View Post
      How about dividing sequences into small groups?

After assembling the each group and gathering the contigs, you can assemble the whole contigs one more time.
      A good idea and one that I will try. If nothing else I might get to the repetitive parts of the BACs.

Using more stringent criteria such as higher homology and longer mimium overlaps can be an another approach.
      Yes. I was running several of these clusters last night only to come back to work this morning and find that I was over my disk quota and that my programs crashed in mysterious ways. Who would have guessed that 250 GB would not be enough space.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
      • seqadmin
        Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
        by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
        Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
        03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
      0 responses