No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calling SNP frequencies in BWA alignments

Namaste all.

I am using BWA to align my reads. I need to not only call the variants but also their frequencies, for example, if I have 30X coverage at a chromosomal position, the reference has A and of the 30 reads I have 20 As and 10 Ts, how do I do that? any tools available for this?

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Have a look at samtools mpileup and GATK UnifiedGenotyper, I think they can do what you want.

Comment

Thanks YiLong. Both the tools you mentioned can only call allele frequencies if multiple aligned .bam files are present. They do not call allele frequencies from different reads of the same sample. What I need is: if base (say at chr2 position 135487) is heterozygous A/T, say reference is A, and I have 30 reads at that position. I want to know how many reads are As and how many are Ts. I want to this for every position in the genome for every sample. I am not sure whether mpileup or GATK do such a thing.

Comment

In mpileup in the INFO field, there's the AF1 subfield that'll tell you the frequency.

In GATK UnifiedGenotyper the same info can be found in the last field in the AD subfield.

At least this is how I have understood it though I haven't read this from anywhere so use with caution... Also you might have to play around with the parameters to get these fields into the output - I don't remember what parameters I used for generating these .vcf files.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
          by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
          04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
        • seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
        0 responses