Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Direction/Orientation of Illumina read in SAM file

Documenting my 3 hours spent trying to understand what parameter in SAM file tells read orientation in the hope it will turn out to be helpful to someone. (but if my inference below is wrong!, please post a reply!)

I have been looking up ways to find which strand a read is mapping to and in the SAM file, there seems to be two confusing parameters:
    Code:
    XS:A:+ and XS:A-
    and
    0 or 16 in the second column
    After much researching to confirm my belief of 0 or 16 corresponding to read orientation on strand, I found that the SAM specification PDF says:
    Column 2 is bitwise FLAG and a bit value 0x10 means SEQ being reverse complemented
    I then ignored this for some time ('coz I didnt know what this meant!!) before realizing that bit value of 0X10 corresponds to a decimal value of 16 (Thanks Google!!)

So if the second column is 0, it means read is mapping to one strand, and a value of 16 means it is mapping to the other strand. Still havent figured out clearly what XS:A stands for...whether it relates to a read mapping across a splice junction or even a completely exonic read is considered...not quite sure...

these posts may be of help:
    Discussion of next-gen sequencing related bioinformatics: resources, algorithms, open source efforts, etc

AND
    Discussion of next-gen sequencing related bioinformatics: resources, algorithms, open source efforts, etc

Hi,
    Look at the second column, the CIGAR line, set its values in http://picard.sourceforge.net/explain-flags.html

You can also use in command line
    Code:
    smatools view -X

Comment

Originally posted by nicolallias View Post
      Hi,
      Look at the second column, the CIGAR line, set its values in http://picard.sourceforge.net/explain-flags.html

You can also use in command line
      Code:
      smatools view -X
      what exactly does samtools view -x or -X do?

Comment

Originally posted by roll View Post
        what exactly does samtools view -x or -X do?
        Code:
        -x       output FLAG in HEX (samtools-C specific)
        -X       output FLAG in string (samtools-C specific)

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Understanding Genetic Influence on Infectious Disease
          by seqadmin

During the COVID-19 pandemic, scientists observed that while some individuals experienced severe illness when infected with SARS-CoV-2, others were barely affected. These disparities left researchers and clinicians wondering what causes the wide variations in response to viral infections and what role genetics plays.

Jean-Laurent Casanova, M.D., Ph.D., Professor at Rockefeller University, is a leading expert in this crossover between genetics and infectious...
          09-09-2024, 10:59 AM
        • seqadmin
          Addressing Off-Target Effects in CRISPR Technologies
          by seqadmin

The first FDA-approved CRISPR-based therapy marked the transition of therapeutic gene editing from a dream to reality1. CRISPR technologies have streamlined gene editing, and CRISPR screens have become an important approach for identifying genes involved in disease processes2. This technique introduces targeted mutations across numerous genes, enabling large-scale identification of gene functions, interactions, and pathways3. Identifying the full range...
          08-27-2024, 04:44 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, Today, 06:25 AM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 01:02 PM
        0 responses