No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 454 Raw datas

Hello!

I am quite new with 454 sequencing and I just got my first run (raw data). The files are in this format:
    C1226_SV911631_RunID28380309_reads.tgz
    C1226_SV911631_RunID28380309_sff.tgz
    C1226_SV911631_RunID28413700_reads.tgz
    C1226_SV911631_RunID28413700_sff.tgz
    C1226_SV911631_SID16663_assembly.tgz
    C1226_SV911631_SID16664_assembly.tgz

I have really no idea where to start....we used an external sequencing service and this we get...Does anyone know if I need special software to open the files?
    What do they mean reads.tgz, sff.tgz, and assembly.tgz?
    I really need help for something that you could find very simple and stupid.
    Thanks a lot!
    Giancarlo

Hi Giancarlo,

If you are unsure of what files your provider has given you, you should ask them to clarify what they are. I'd say they have given you the reads, the sff files, and the assembly (de novo) files for two region or two samples. The .tgz is a compressed archive (if I am getting the terminology correct), so you should be able to decompress it and more files will be present.

Comment

Hi RCJK,

thanks for your reply. I also think I have received the reads and assembly. Yes, these are two samples, but when I decompress the files I have at the end this sff file that I am not able to open on a windows operating system. That's why I was wondering if I need some other programs for visualize the files. What I want to see is which sequences are inside...if we got what we want or not
      Thanks again,
      Giancarlo

Comment

From a sff you can extract (even on a Windows) fasta and quality files with sff_extract.
        You may also have a look on this page this page.

Comment

Hi Giancarlo,

You can open sff files within the Software shipped by Roche (which unfortunately only runs in Linux). However, you should be able to open the reads files (usually in Fastq format which you should be able to open using a text editor like Notepad in windows). The only problem could be the size of the files...
          For the assembly files there are several possible format although the Roche software only outputs .ace files. These are text-based as well and also very large. If you do not possess a 64bit Windows system this could be a problem...

If you want to visualize the assembly you could go with Tablet:
          Link: http://bioinf.scri.ac.uk/tablet/

it can handle .ace files and runs in windows.

I hope this helps...
          (Nevertheless, when dealing with NGS data I would suggest changing to Linux as most bioinformatic analysis programs work well in Linux but not in Windows...)

Could you describe the experiment in more detail (which organism, de-novo sequencing, resequencing, targetted sequencing,...). This has a great influence on the choice of analysis software.

Comment

hi guys,

thanks for the suggestions. I will check carefully all of these otpions and I will let you know (or I will ask Roche to ship me the software, should be not a problem). Yes, the files are quite big, but I'll try anyway. To be short this is a transcriptome sequencing of a tumor cell line. If you know good and more specific software for RNAseq would be nice to know which one you find best.
            All the best,
            Giancarlo

Comment

Originally posted by Giancarlo View Post
              hi guys,

thanks for the suggestions. I will check carefully all of these otpions and I will let you know (or I will ask Roche to ship me the software, should be not a problem). Yes, the files are quite big, but I'll try anyway. To be short this is a transcriptome sequencing of a tumor cell line. If you know good and more specific software for RNAseq would be nice to know which one you find best.
              All the best,
              Giancarlo
              You could extract fasta and quality files from the sff files. Then you could use MIRA assembler. The information here.
              Download MIRA for free. MIRA - Sequence assembler and sequence mapping for whole genome shotgun and EST / RNASeq sequencing data. Can use Sanger, 454, Illumina and IonTorrent data.
              Last edited by joscarhuguet; 03-22-2011, 02:37 PM.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
                by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist on Modified Bases...
                Yesterday, 07:01 AM
              • seqadmin
                Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
              0 responses