No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alignment PE reads with different length by TopHat

Hello!
    I want to know if TopHat 1.2.0 can work with paired-end reads of different lenght without problems.
    Can I modify the -r/--mate-inner-dist for correct output?

Example: I have sample with insert size of 200bp, the first read of 75bp and the second read of 50bp (for quality decrease).
    Can I modify -r option as 200-(75-50)? is correct?

Are there other TopHat options that I must to consider?

Thanks in advance

Valeria

The TopHat manual explicitly warns against this. The recommended procedure is to merge BAM files downstream with the different sizes.

Are you really truncating reads based on quality? If so, you will be stuck breaking them into separate files by length.

An option I would consider, but have not tried, is to set the quality values to 0 instead of actually trimming the data. I'm not sure whether TopHat would really effectively ignore the data if that is done.

Comment

So I am also interested in this. To be exact, the manual specifically warns against using different "types" of reads:

NOTE: TopHat can align reads that are up to 1024 bp, and it handles paired end reads, but we do not recommend mixing several "types" of reads in the same TopHat run. For example, mixing 100bp single end reads and 2x27bp paired ends into the same TopHat run will give bad results.
      Their example only illustrates that its bad to mix paired and un-paired. It doesn't mention using a PE lib that has had non-uniform quality trimming. Does anyone have knowledge/experience with this specific case?

Gus
      In science, "fact" can only mean "confirmed to such a degree that it would be perverse to withhold provisional assent." I suppose that apples might start to rise tomorrow, but the possibility does not merit equal time in physics classrooms.
      --Stephen Jay Gould

Comment

Anybody tried to use different length reads for R1 and R2 for aligning their PE data? Any concerns tophat may not be able to handle?

Due to quality issues I had to trim the last 50bp of a R2 of a 100bp PE run, but R1 are still 100bp.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by selen View Post
          Anybody tried to use different length reads for R1 and R2 for aligning their PE data? Any concerns tophat may not be able to handle?
          That'll work fine. After trimming, this scenario isn't infrequent.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
          • seqadmin
            Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
            by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
            Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
            03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
          0 responses