No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GALAXY local setup - bowtie

Dear all,
    I have working local galaxy-dist on my machine and I would like to attach bowtie and tophat to it. The reference indexes setup is ok already, i can select between them in bowtie menu. However, when i execute the bowtie it says:

An error occurred running this job: Error aligning sequence. /bin/sh: bowtie: command not found

I guess still my galaxy is not connected with bowtie properly.
    Any ideas how could I update galaxy with proper paths to have it working?
    Tomasz Stokowy
    www.sequencing.io.gliwice.pl

Same error

I'm having the same error... It would be great if someone could help in this.

Comment

Solved,
      Enter the /bin directory, and create there a soft link to bowtie (Bowtie will become a system command)
      You can make it with ln -s /your/path/to/bowtie/bowtie bowtie
      Tomasz Stokowy

Comment

you can try to put all bowtie excutive file into system bin folder, and error could be solved

Comment

Hi all,

Galaxy does not include Bowtie in its distribution. You'll need to download and install Bowtie in order to run it using Galaxy. More information about installing Bowtie for Galaxy can be found here:

Also, questions about local Galaxy installs are best sent to the galaxy-dev mailing list:

Galaxy developers and others who run local installations participate on the list.

Best,
          J.
          Galaxy Team

Comment

oh permissions

I am trying to set it up, but I keep getting this error message:
            ln: creating symbolic link `bowtie': Permission denied

I changed the permission of bowtie folders and files but keep getting same problem. I looked up on linux forums about symbolic permissions but could not find and answer. Did anyone have same problem?
            Thank you.
            Luciano

Comment

You need to login as root (su command).
              Tomasz Stokowy

Comment

Dear all,
                I also have local galaxy installed on my machine and I would like to run bowtie-tophat-cufflinks work flow. At the first step of running bowtie, I am wondering how to add my own reference genome sequences to the selction menu. Where is a proper directory?
                Thank you in advance.

Kunio

Comment

All,

You'll need to put Bowtie--and other tools that you want to use--in your user's path. Something like:

% bash
                  % export PATH=$PATH:/path/to/bowtie/

should do the trick on most systems. That said, you'll probably want to set up and run Galaxy under a dedicated user.

We encourage all users setting up a local instance to direct their questions to the galaxy-dev mailing list and/or search the archive for answers:

Good luck,
                  J.

Comment

Thank for your reply, J!

All progarm is completely set up as galaxy which is dedicated user.
                    And test run is successful, but I do not understand how to add my own reference genome. As your instruction, I will ask my question to the galaxy-dev mailing list.

Many thanks!

Kunio

Comment

Kunio,

Here are instructions for setting up indices for NGS tools:

Good luck,
                      J.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                        Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                        by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                        04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                      • seqadmin
                        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                      Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                      0 responses
                      0 likes
                      Last Post seqadmin  
                      Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                      0 responses