Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • naluru
    Member
    • Jul 2010
    • 16

    #1

    miRNA mature and star sequences, isomiRs etc

    Hello,

    I have asked this question before and didn't get any replies. I thought I will post it again as many others might be having similar problems.

    I am working with miRNA-seq data set and I mapped them to the genome after adapter trimming. I am able to count the known miRNA reads using genome coordinates of precursor miRNA. That worked perfectly! Thanks to many of you who helped me do that.

    What I am trying to do now is to get the read counts for individual mature miRNAs and star sequences. I am having hard time getting that information in a simplistic way.

    Is there any way I can process the sam or bam file to get all the individual mature and star sequence counts separately? Right now, I am using IGV to view the alignment and basically counting the number of reads aligned to mature and star sequence. There got to be a much clever way to get this information.

    Also, is there any way to detect isomiRs?

    Any comments/suggestions are highly appreciated.

    Thank you
  • zee
    NGS specialist
    • Apr 2008
    • 249

    #2
    You could try something like coverageBed that is part of the bedTools package e.g.

    coverageBed -abam samplex.bam -b mature.[bed|gff] > mature.samplex.coverage

    Repeat the same process for your star miRNAs. You could also just work with some naming convention to distinguish your stars from mature miRNAs.

    The last three columns of mature.samplex.coverage gives your depth counts and other useful information.

    Hope this helps.

    Comment

    • volks
      Member
      • Jun 2010
      • 80

      #3
      Originally posted by naluru View Post
      I am able to count the known miRNA reads using genome coordinates of precursor miRNA.
      ...
      What I am trying to do now is to get the read counts for individual mature miRNAs and star sequences.
      use the genome coordinates of individual mature and star sequences. or did i not understand the question?

      Comment

      • naluru
        Member
        • Jul 2010
        • 16

        #4
        Thank you for both the suggestions.

        Thank you, zee. I will try bedTools.

        Volks, you are correct and I thought about it. The GFF files in miRBase website have the coordinates only for precursor sequences and not to mature/star sequences separately. Also, not all the star sequences are annotated in miRBase. I am seeing many reads that are mapped to star sequences (unannotated).

        Please let me know if you think of any way to deal with this? Thanks, Neel

        Comment

        Latest Articles

        Collapse

        • SEQadmin2
          New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
          by SEQadmin2


          Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

          We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing
          ...
          Today, 10:25 AM
        • SEQadmin2
          How Immunogenomics Decodes Immunity’s Genetic Blueprint
          by SEQadmin2




          The immune system’s power comes from its genetic diversity, allowing myriad threats to be neutralized through first recognizing foreign antigens. That diversity is also what makes the immune system so difficult to study. Recent advances in sequencing technology and computational biology, however, are giving researchers new tools to understand immune responses and immune-related diseases in greater detail.

          This convergence of genetics, immunology, and computation...
          09-01-2026, 05:41 AM

        ad_right_rmr

        Collapse

        News

        Collapse

        Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
        0 responses
        27 views
        0 reactions
        Last Post SEQadmin2  
        Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
        0 responses
        24 views
        0 reactions
        Last Post SEQadmin2  
        Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
        1 response
        46 views
        0 reactions
        Last Post pekgio
        by pekgio
         
        Started by SEQadmin2, 09-16-2026, 10:23 AM
        1 response
        55 views
        0 reactions
        Last Post pekgio
        by pekgio
         
        Working...