Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • dpryan
    Devon Ryan
    • Jul 2011
    • 3478

    #16
    Everything starting with bowtie2 is an executable there. Just move them all into your path.

    Comment

    • patrickwang
      Junior Member
      • Dec 2013
      • 1

      #17
      But what should I do to move them into the path.

      I also installed the Bowtie2 on a linux system. After unzip, the bowtie2 folder contains AUTHORS bowtie2-align-debug bowtie2-inspect example MANUAL.markdown TUTORIAL
      bowtie2 bowtie2-build bowtie2-inspect-debug LICENSE NEWS VERSION
      bowtie2-align bowtie2-build-debug doc MANUAL scripts

      and three subfolers doc, example, and scripts.

      Comment

      • dpryan
        Devon Ryan
        • Jul 2011
        • 3478

        #18
        Originally posted by patrickwang View Post
        But what should I do to move them into the path.

        I also installed the Bowtie2 on a linux system. After unzip, the bowtie2 folder contains AUTHORS bowtie2-align-debug bowtie2-inspect example MANUAL.markdown TUTORIAL
        bowtie2 bowtie2-build bowtie2-inspect-debug LICENSE NEWS VERSION
        bowtie2-align bowtie2-build-debug doc MANUAL scripts

        and three subfolers doc, example, and scripts.
        On every system, I create a "~/bin" folder to just move personal executables like that into. Then I just edit "~/.bashrc" and add the following at the end:

        Code:
        export PATH="$PATH:~/bin"
        The you can just type "bowtie2" or whatever and things will work with less typing.

        Comment

        • simobioinfo
          Member
          • Aug 2014
          • 40

          #19
          Hello! I'm a newbie trying to install bowtie.
          I unzipped the source file and then I compiled it
          After I tried to add it to my path, I see this message in my shell
          "Il comando non può essere localizzato perché "/usr/bin" non è incluso nella variabile d'ambiente PATH".
          No command function anymore... what can I do to solve this problem?

          Comment

          • dpryan
            Devon Ryan
            • Jul 2011
            • 3478

            #20
            So include /usr/bin in the PATH:
            Code:
            export PATH="$PATH:/usr/bin"
            For future reference, it's usually easier for people to diagnose problems if (1) the error messages are translated into English and (2) you show exactly what you did that produced them.

            Comment

            • simobioinfo
              Member
              • Aug 2014
              • 40

              #21
              Thank you and excuse me but I registered to the site just few minutes ago. The command function even if I have also to digit
              export PATH="$PATH:/bin"
              I have another question: How do I make permanent this command? When I close terminal, the problem returns.

              Comment

              • dpryan
                Devon Ryan
                • Jul 2011
                • 3478

                #22
                You just need to edit ~/.bashrc

                Comment

                • simobioinfo
                  Member
                  • Aug 2014
                  • 40

                  #23
                  Do I have to do these changes as root? If I digit ~/.bashrc, I heve the following message: permission denied

                  Comment

                  • GenoMax
                    Senior Member
                    • Feb 2008
                    • 7142

                    #24
                    If you are logged into your user account then you should be able to edit your .bashrc file by using an appropriate text editor such as pico/nano by doing

                    Code:
                    $ pico ~/.bashrc
                    After you add the export line the .bashrc remember to save the file and then source it.

                    Code:
                    $ source ~/.bashrc
                    or you could log out and then log back in again (when the .bashrc would be re-read). Using "source" command allows you to read the profile without having to log out then in.
                    Last edited by GenoMax; 08-04-2014, 08:16 AM.

                    Comment

                    • simobioinfo
                      Member
                      • Aug 2014
                      • 40

                      #25
                      Thank you so much... my shell now is functional.
                      Now I have to add bowtie2 to path, which was the cause for the previous problem.
                      I downloaded -source.zip, unzipped it and then compiled.
                      However, if I digit "bowtie2", I have this message "command not found".
                      What's the problem? what I have to do to add bowtie2 to PATH without damage in my system ?

                      Comment

                      • dpryan
                        Devon Ryan
                        • Jul 2011
                        • 3478

                        #26
                        You just need to do what Genomax and I mentioned.

                        BTW, you would do well to buy a book on using Linux (or Unix or even Mac OS X from the command line). This sort of thing should be covered in such a book.

                        Comment

                        • simobioinfo
                          Member
                          • Aug 2014
                          • 40

                          #27
                          Thank you again for your help. I solved my problems with shell and also to add bowtie to PATH.
                          Bye
                          Simona

                          Comment

                          • zillur
                            Senior Member
                            • Sep 2014
                            • 106

                            #28
                            Bow-tie

                            Hey Guys,
                            I am new here. I have a problem to run bow tie on my mac. Here is my command line on terminal: Mds-MacBook-Pro:bioinformatics ZILLURRAHMAN$ cd bow-tie
                            Mds-MacBook-Pro:bow-tie ZILLURRAHMAN$ ls
                            2012_Lab_Exercise_2.doc
                            CGRL - Installing and Using Bowtie.webarchive
                            How to install Bowtie - SEQanswers.webarchive
                            Installation and use of Bowtie | Bioinformatics at Viikki campus.webarchive
                            Trinity (runs local) | Applied Bioinformatics Journal Club.webarchive
                            bowtie2-2.2.3
                            ernestturro_mappingpractical.pdf
                            Mds-MacBook-Pro:bow-tie ZILLURRAHMAN$ cd bowtie2-2.2.3
                            Mds-MacBook-Pro:bowtie2-2.2.3 ZILLURRAHMAN$ make

                            Then it showed an error message like this:

                            Agreeing to the Xcode/iOS license requires admin privileges, please re-run as root via sudo.


                            What should I do now?

                            Comment

                            • GenoMax
                              Senior Member
                              • Feb 2008
                              • 7142

                              #29
                              I assume you have the latest Xcode installed. Try running the make as follows.
                              Code:
                              $ sudo make
                              As an aside, please avoid using spaces in names with OS X. Replace the spaces with an "_" when you need a delimiter.

                              Comment

                              • zillur
                                Senior Member
                                • Sep 2014
                                • 106

                                #30
                                Thank you very much. With this command the terminal showing this message:
                                Mds-MacBook-Pro:bowtie2-2.2.3 ZILLURRAHMAN$ sudo make
                                make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop.

                                what should I do now?

                                Comment

                                Latest Articles

                                Collapse

                                • SEQadmin2
                                  New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
                                  by SEQadmin2


                                  Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

                                  We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing
                                  ...
                                  Today, 10:25 AM
                                • SEQadmin2
                                  How Immunogenomics Decodes Immunity’s Genetic Blueprint
                                  by SEQadmin2




                                  The immune system’s power comes from its genetic diversity, allowing myriad threats to be neutralized through first recognizing foreign antigens. That diversity is also what makes the immune system so difficult to study. Recent advances in sequencing technology and computational biology, however, are giving researchers new tools to understand immune responses and immune-related diseases in greater detail.

                                  This convergence of genetics, immunology, and computation...
                                  09-01-2026, 05:41 AM

                                ad_right_rmr

                                Collapse

                                News

                                Collapse

                                Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
                                0 responses
                                28 views
                                0 reactions
                                Last Post SEQadmin2  
                                Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
                                0 responses
                                24 views
                                0 reactions
                                Last Post SEQadmin2  
                                Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
                                1 response
                                46 views
                                0 reactions
                                Last Post pekgio
                                by pekgio
                                 
                                Started by SEQadmin2, 09-16-2026, 10:23 AM
                                1 response
                                55 views
                                0 reactions
                                Last Post pekgio
                                by pekgio
                                 
                                Working...