Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you very much. I am a neophyte here and making mistakes in my every steps but you are always helping me. Its amazing for me. Thank you so much. However I have got my terminal back. I had to type
    /bin/echo 'export PATH=${PATH}:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/opt/X11/bin' >> ~/.bash_profile then hit enter. Now its working
    But now my bowtie2 command is not working. Should I create path using vi editor?
    Mds-MacBook-Pro:desktop ZILLURRAHMAN$ type ls
    ls is hashed (/bin/ls)
    Mds-MacBook-Pro:desktop ZILLURRAHMAN$ type bowtie2
    -bash: type: bowtie2: not found
    Mds-MacBook-Pro:desktop ZILLURRAHMAN$

Should I create path using vi editor?

Mds-MacBook-Pro:desktop ZILLURRAHMAN$ cd bioinformatics/bow-tie/bowtie2-2.2.3/
    Mds-MacBook-Pro:bowtie2-2.2.3 ZILLURRAHMAN$ ls
    AUTHORS bowtie2-align-l-debug bowtie2-inspect
    LICENSE bowtie2-align-s bowtie2-inspect-l
    MANUAL bowtie2-align-s-debug bowtie2-inspect-l-debug
    MANUAL.markdown bowtie2-build bowtie2-inspect-s
    NEWS bowtie2-build-l bowtie2-inspect-s-debug
    TUTORIAL bowtie2-build-l-debug doc
    VERSION bowtie2-build-s example
    bowtie2 bowtie2-build-s-debug scripts
    bowtie2-align-l bowtie2-buildc
    Mds-MacBook-Pro:bowtie2-2.2.3 ZILLURRAHMAN$ pwd
    /Users/ZILLURRAHMAN/desktop/bioinformatics/bow-tie/bowtie2-2.2.3
    Mds-MacBook-Pro:bowtie2-2.2.3 ZILLURRAHMAN$
    Should I type:
    export PATH="/Users/ZILLURRAHMAN/Desktop/Bioinformatics/Bow-tie/bowtie2-2.2.3/:$PATH"
    then save and quit the vi editor? I am asking you mentioning my details files and folders cause I don't another mess. Hope you understand my situation here.

Best Regards
    Zillur

Comment

Code:
      export PATH="/Users/ZILLURRAHMAN/Desktop/Bioinformatics/[COLOR="Red"]b[/COLOR]ow-tie/bowtie2-2.2.3/:$PATH"
      Make sure you use the correct case (you had a capital B in the line I copied above". Just do that on the command line before you go editing any files. OS should now be able to find bowtie2.

Comment

Thank you very much. So I should just need to type it in the command line. Don't I need any vi editor?

Comment

You can add that line to your .bash_profile using vi after you test it on the command line and confirm that it works. Then it would be automatically sourced when you log in next time since it will be there in the profile.

Comment

Thank you very much. But I can't do it using vi editor. I don't know what is happening here. But I just typed the line in the terminal and its working now. But is it safe to work direct with terminal?
            Mds-MacBook-Pro:~ ZILLURRAHMAN$ type bowtie2
            bowtie2 is hashed (/Users/ZILLURRAHMAN/Desktop/Bioinformatics/bow-tie/bowtie2-2.2.3/bowtie2)

Using same trick can I make path for samtools?

Comment

It is safe to work in the terminal. Adding the path modifier to profile file is a convenience so you don't have to do it in the terminal each time. You can use the same method to add path for samtools (and any additional programs you need).

Comment

Thank you very much. Its really great to find some people like you. Now I am able to create paths for programs that I need.

Mds-MacBook-Pro:samtools-1.1 ZILLURRAHMAN$ pwd
                /Users/ZILLURRAHMAN/desktop/bioinformatics/samtools/samtools-1.1
                Mds-MacBook-Pro:samtools-1.1 ZILLURRAHMAN$ export PATH="/Users/ZILLURRAHMAN/Desktop/Bioinformatics/samtools/samtools-1.1/:$PATH"
                Mds-MacBook-Pro:samtools-1.1 ZILLURRAHMAN$ type samtools.1
                samtools.1 is /Users/ZILLURRAHMAN/Desktop/Bioinformatics/samtools/samtools-1.1/samtools.1
                Mds-MacBook-Pro:samtools-1.1 ZILLURRAHMAN$ type bowtie2
                bowtie2 is /Users/ZILLURRAHMAN/Desktop/Bioinformatics/bow-tie/bowtie2-2.2.3/bowtie2
                Mds-MacBook-Pro:samtools-1.1 ZILLURRAHMAN$

But another problem, every time I close the terminal it loses all the newly created paths. Even if I open a new tab on the same terminal window it can't find the newly created paths.

Last login: Sun Nov 2 17:00:11 on ttys000
                -bash: $: command not found
                Mds-MacBook-Pro:samtools-1.1 ZILLURRAHMAN$ type bowtie2
                -bash: type: bowtie2: not found
                Mds-MacBook-Pro:samtools-1.1 ZILLURRAHMAN$ type samtools.1
                -bash: type: samtools.1: not found
                Mds-MacBook-Pro:samtools-1.1 ZILLURRAHMAN$

What should I do now? I just don't want to create path every time I am opening a new shell.

Best Regards
                Zillur

Comment

This is a simple work around.

Since you are having trouble editing .bash_profile file put the PATH command in a text file (let us call the file "set_path_file") using an editor. Then when you open a new terminal do the following

Code:
                  $ source set_path_file
                  That should set the PATH variable correctly for that terminal session. You will need to do this for each new terminal you open.

Comment

Thank you very much. I am working on this. Meanwhile I have another problem.

Mds-MacBook-Pro:reference ZILLURRAHMAN$ ls
                    commands lambda_virus.fa lambdaout.rev.1.bt2
                    eg2.sam lambda_virus.rev.1.bt2 lambdaout.rev.2.bt2
                    egl.sam lambda_virus.rev.2.bt2 nohup.out
                    lambda_virus.1.bt2 lambdaout.1.bt2 out
                    lambda_virus.2.bt2 lambdaout.2.bt2 out.sam
                    lambda_virus.3.bt2 lambdaout.3.bt2
                    lambda_virus.4.bt2 lambdaout.4.bt2
                    Mds-MacBook-Pro:reference ZILLURRAHMAN$ samtools view -bS eg2.sam > eg2.bam
                    commands lambda_virus.4.bt2 lambdaout.4.bt2
                    eg2.bam lambda_virus.fa lambdaout.rev.1.bt2
                    eg2.sam lambda_virus.rev.1.bt2 lambdaout.rev.2.bt2
                    lambda_virus.3.bt2 lambdaout.3.bt2
                    Mds-MacBook-Pro:reference ZILLURRAHMAN$ more eg2.bam
                    "eg2.bam" may be a binary file. See it anyway?
                    Mds-MacBook-Pro:reference ZILLURRAHMAN$ samtools sort eg2.bam eg2.sorted
                    commands lambda_virus.3.bt2 lambdaout.3.bt2
                    eg2.bam lambda_virus.4.bt2 lambdaout.4.bt2
                    eg2.sam lambda_virus.fa lambdaout.rev.1.bt2
                    eg2.sorted.bam lambda_virus.rev.1.bt2 lambdaout.rev.2.bt2
                    Mds-MacBook-Pro:reference ZILLURRAHMAN$ more eg2.sorted.bam
                    "eg2.sorted.bam" may be a binary file. See it anyway?
                    Mds-MacBook-Pro:reference ZILLURRAHMAN$ samtools mpileup -uf /example/reference/lambda_virus.fa eg2.sorted.bam | bcftools view -bvcg - > eg2.raw.bcf
                    [fai_load] build FASTA index.
                    [fai_build] fail to open the FASTA file /example/reference/lambda_virus.fa
                    [fai_load] fail to open FASTA index.
                    -bash: bcftools: command not found
                    Mds-MacBook-Pro:reference ZILLURRAHMAN$

From where I can get the "bcftools" files?

Comment

Originally posted by zillur View Post

From where I can get the "bcftools" files?
                      You have to download and compile bcftools from here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/samt...r.bz2/download

Comment

Thank you very much. I downloaded and compiled it using "make" command. Then tried to create path for "bcftools" using previous trick but it is not working here.

Mds-MacBook-Pro:bioinformatics ZILLURRAHMAN$ cd bcftools-1.1/
                        Mds-MacBook-Pro:bcftools-1.1 ZILLURRAHMAN$ ls
                        AUTHORS em.c prob1.c vcfconcat.c vcfquery.c
                        HMM.c em.o prob1.h vcfconcat.o vcfquery.o
                        HMM.h filter.c prob1.o vcfconvert.c vcfroh.c
                        HMM.o filter.h rbuf.h vcfconvert.o vcfroh.o
                        INSTALL filter.o reheader.c vcffilter.c vcfsom.c
                        LICENSE gvcf.c reheader.o vcffilter.o vcfsom.o
                        Makefile gvcf.o tabix.c vcfgtcheck.c vcfstats.c
                        README htslib-1.1 tabix.o vcfgtcheck.o vcfstats.o
                        bcftools khash_str2str.h test vcfindex.c vcfutils.pl
                        bcftools.1 kmin.c tsv2vcf.c vcfindex.o vcfview.c
                        bcftools.h kmin.h tsv2vcf.h vcfisec.c vcfview.o
                        bcftools.txt kmin.o tsv2vcf.o vcfisec.o vcmp.c
                        call.h main.c vcfannotate.c vcfmerge.c vcmp.h
                        ccall.c main.o vcfannotate.o vcfmerge.o vcmp.o
                        ccall.o mcall.c vcfcall.c vcfnorm.c version.c
                        convert.c mcall.o vcfcall.o vcfnorm.o version.h
                        convert.h plot-vcfstats vcfcnv.c vcfplugin.c
                        convert.o plugins vcfcnv.o vcfplugin.o
                        Mds-MacBook-Pro:bcftools-1.1 ZILLURRAHMAN$ pwd
                        /Users/ZILLURRAHMAN/desktop/bioinformatics/bcftools-1.1
                        Mds-MacBook-Pro:bcftools-1.1 ZILLURRAHMAN$ export PATH="/Users/ZILLURRAHMAN/Desktop/Bioinformatics/bcftools-1.1/bcftools/:$PATH"
                        Mds-MacBook-Pro:bcftools-1.1 ZILLURRAHMAN$ type bcftools
                        -bash: type: bcftools: not found
                        Mds-MacBook-Pro:bcftools-1.1 ZILLURRAHMAN$

Would you please to tell me which point I missed?

Best regards
                        Zillur

Comment

You need to add execute permissions to the new bcftools executable.

Code:
                          $ chmod u+x /Users/ZILLURRAHMAN/Desktop/Bioinformatics/bcftools-1.1/bcftools/bcftools

Comment

Thank you very much. May be I am missing something. Still bcftools command can't be found.

Mds-MacBook-Pro:bcftools-1.1 ZILLURRAHMAN$ chmod u+x /Users/ZILLURRAHMAN/Desktop/Bioinformatics/bcftools-1.1/bcftools/bcftools
                            chmod: /Users/ZILLURRAHMAN/Desktop/Bioinformatics/bcftools-1.1/bcftools/bcftools: Not a directory
                            Mds-MacBook-Pro:bcftools-1.1 ZILLURRAHMAN$ chmod u+x /Users/ZILLURRAHMAN/Desktop/Bioinformatics/bcftools-1.1/bcftools
                            Mds-MacBook-Pro:bcftools-1.1 ZILLURRAHMAN$ export PATH="/Users/ZILLURRAHMAN/Desktop/Bioinformatics/bcftools-1.1/bcftools/:$PATH"
                            Mds-MacBook-Pro:bcftools-1.1 ZILLURRAHMAN$

Comment

You added an extra bcftools word at the end of your path command. Command should be

Code:
                              $ export PATH="/Users/ZILLURRAHMAN/Desktop/Bioinformatics/bcftools-1.1:$PATH"

Comment

Thank you very much. Its working now. But......

Mds-MacBook-Pro:bcftools-1.1 ZILLURRAHMAN$ export PATH="/Users/ZILLURRAHMAN/Desktop/Bioinformatics/bcftools-1.1/:$PATH"
                                bcftools is /Users/ZILLURRAHMAN/Desktop/Bioinformatics/bcftools-1.1/bcftools
                                Mds-MacBook-Pro:bcftools-1.1 ZILLURRAHMAN$ cd ..
                                Mds-MacBook-Pro:bioinformatics ZILLURRAHMAN$ cd bow-tie/bowtie2-2.2.3/example/reference/
                                commands lambda_virus.3.bt2 lambdaout.4.bt2
                                eg2.bam lambda_virus.4.bt2 lambdaout.rev.1.bt2
                                eg2.raw.bcf lambda_virus.fa lambdaout.rev.2.bt2
                                eg2.sam lambda_virus.rev.1.bt2 nohup.out
                                eg2.sorted.bam lambda_virus.rev.2.bt2 out
                                egl.sam lambdaout.1.bt2 out.sam
                                lambda_virus.1.bt2 lambdaout.2.bt2
                                lambda_virus.2.bt2 lambdaout.3.bt2
                                Mds-MacBook-Pro:reference ZILLURRAHMAN$ samtools mpileup -uf /example/reference/lambda_virus.fa eg2.sorted.bam | bcftools view -bvcg - > eg2.raw.bcf
                                bcftools: invalid option -- b

About: VCF/BCF conversion, view, subset and filter VCF/BCF files.
                                Usage: bcftools view [options] <in.vcf.gz> [region1 [...]]

Output options:
                                -G, --drop-genotypes drop individual genotype information (after subsetting if -s option set)
                                -h/H, --header-only/--no-header print the header only/suppress the header in VCF output
                                -l, --compression-level [0-9] compression level: 0 uncompressed, 1 best speed, 9 best compression [-1]
                                -o, --output-file <file> output file name [stdout]
                                -O, --output-type <b|u|z|v> b: compressed BCF, u: uncompressed BCF, z: compressed VCF, v: uncompressed VCF [v]
                                -r, --regions <region> restrict to comma-separated list of regions
                                -R, --regions-file <file> restrict to regions listed in a file
                                -t, --targets [^]<region> similar to -r but streams rather than index-jumps. Exclude regions with "^" prefix
                                -T, --targets-file [^]<file> similar to -R but streams rather than index-jumps. Exclude regions with "^" prefix

Subset options:
                                -a, --trim-alt-alleles trim alternate alleles not seen in the subset
                                -I, --no-update do not (re)calculate INFO fields for the subset (currently INFO/AC and INFO/AN)
                                -s, --samples [^]<list> comma separated list of samples to include (or exclude with "^" prefix)
                                -S, --samples-file [^]<file> file of samples to include (or exclude with "^" prefix)
                                --force-samples only warn about unknown subset samples

Filter options:
                                -c/C, --min-ac/--max-ac <int>[:<type>] minimum/maximum count for non-reference (nref), 1st alternate (alt1) or minor (minor) alleles [nref]
                                -f, --apply-filters <list> require at least one of the listed FILTER strings (e.g. "PASS,.")
                                -g, --genotype [^]<hom|het|miss> require one or more hom/het/missing genotype or, if prefixed with "^", exclude sites with hom/het/missing genotypes
                                -i/e, --include/--exclude <expr> select/exclude sites for which the expression is true (see man page for details)
                                -k/n, --known/--novel select known/novel sites only (ID is not/is '.')
                                -m/M, --min-alleles/--max-alleles <int> minimum/maximum number of alleles listed in REF and ALT (e.g. -m2 -M2 for biallelic sites)
                                -p/P, --phased/--exclude-phased select/exclude sites where all samples are phased
                                -q/Q, --min-af/--max-af <float>[:<type>] minimum/maximum frequency for non-reference (nref), 1st alternate (alt1) or minor (minor) alleles [nref]
                                -u/U, --uncalled/--exclude-uncalled select/exclude sites without a called genotype
                                -v/V, --types/--exclude-types <list> select/exclude comma-separated list of variant types: snps,indels,mnps,other [null]
                                -x/X, --private/--exclude-private select/exclude sites where the non-reference alleles are exclusive (private) to the subset samples

[fai_build] fail to open the FASTA file /example/reference/lambda_virus.fa
                                Mds-MacBook-Pro:reference ZILLURRAHMAN$ samtools mpileup -uf /lambda_virus.fa eg2.sorted.bam | bcftools view -bvcg - > eg2.raw.bcf

Output options:
                                -G, --drop-genotypes drop individual genotype information (after subsetting if -s option set)
                                -h/H, --header-only/--no-header print the header only/suppress the header in VCF output
                                -l, --compression-level [0-9] compression level: 0 uncompressed, 1 best speed, 9 best compression [-1]
                                -O, --output-type <b|u|z|v> b: compressed BCF, u: uncompressed BCF, z: compressed VCF, v: uncompressed VCF [v]
                                -t, --targets [^]<region> similar to -r but streams rather than index-jumps. Exclude regions with "^" prefix
                                -T, --targets-file [^]<file> similar to -R but streams rather than index-jumps. Exclude regions with "^" prefix

Subset options:
                                -I, --no-update do not (re)calculate INFO fields for the subset (currently INFO/AC and INFO/AN)
                                -s, --samples [^]<list> comma separated list of samples to include (or exclude with "^" prefix)
                                -S, --samples-file [^]<file> file of samples to include (or exclude with "^" prefix)

Filter options:
                                -c/C, --min-ac/--max-ac <int>[:<type>] minimum/maximum count for non-reference (nref), 1st alternate (alt1) or minor (minor) alleles [nref]
                                -f, --apply-filters <list> require at least one of the listed FILTER strings (e.g. "PASS,.")
                                -g, --genotype [^]<hom|het|miss> require one or more hom/het/missing genotype or, if prefixed with "^", exclude sites with hom/het/missing genotypes
                                -i/e, --include/--exclude <expr> select/exclude sites for which the expression is true (see man page for details)
                                -m/M, --min-alleles/--max-alleles <int> minimum/maximum number of alleles listed in REF and ALT (e.g. -m2 -M2 for biallelic sites)
                                -p/P, --phased/--exclude-phased select/exclude sites where all samples are phased
                                -q/Q, --min-af/--max-af <float>[:<type>] minimum/maximum frequency for non-reference (nref), 1st alternate (alt1) or minor (minor) alleles [nref]
                                -u/U, --uncalled/--exclude-uncalled select/exclude sites without a called genotype
                                -v/V, --types/--exclude-types <list> select/exclude comma-separated list of variant types: snps,indels,mnps,other [null]
                                -x/X, --private/--exclude-private select/exclude sites where the non-reference alleles are exclusive (private) to the subset samples

[fai_build] fail to open the FASTA file /lambda_virus.fa
                                Mds-MacBook-Pro:reference ZILLURRAHMAN$ samtools mpileup -uf /reference/lambda_virus.fa eg2.sorted.bam | bcftools view -bvcg - > eg2.raw.bcf

Output options:

Subset options:

Filter options:

[fai_build] fail to open the FASTA file /reference/lambda_virus.fa
                                Mds-MacBook-Pro:reference ZILLURRAHMAN$

[fai_build] fail to open the FASTA file /reference/lambda_virus.fa

What does it mean?

Best Regards
                                Zillur

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                                • seqadmin
                                  Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                                  by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                                  Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                                  03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                                0 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post seqadmin  
                                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                                0 responses