Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • ECO
    --Site Admin--
    • Oct 2007
    • 1360

    #1

    2011 AGBT thread!

    I'm sitting in the airport about to board a plane to Florida for AGBT and realized we didn't yet have a way to collect all the comments, live blogs, pics, etc that will undoubtedly start flowing in soon as the conference starts tomorrow afternoon!

    So consider this an open thread for all things AGBT related! I will also be posting to the @SEQanswers twitter account, with hashtags #AGBT and/or #AGBT2011, so you can stay in touch that way as well.
  • ECO
    --Site Admin--
    • Oct 2007
    • 1360

    #2
    So the conference is in full swing, I'm sitting dead center under one of the screens taking notes and following twitter as best I can with this terrible wifi.

    If you're new to twitter...search for the hashtag "#AGBT", and you may want to add "-RT" to prevent seeing all the duplicate retweets.

    Comment

    • ECO
      --Site Admin--
      • Oct 2007
      • 1360

      #3
      This is a link to the search I mentioned above:

      Comment

      • ECO
        --Site Admin--
        • Oct 2007
        • 1360

        #4
        It's been a great 5 days...I'm heading to the airport in about an hour. If you haven't already, make sure to check out Anthony's (apfejes) blog for detailed notes on most of the sessions:

        Comment

        • Michael.James.Clark
          Senior Member
          • Apr 2009
          • 207

          #5
          I'm going to TRY to use Twitter. I've failed the other times I've tried to keep using it, but it is pretty cool.

          Gotta say though, I honestly don't feel like I missed much by not being at AGBT. What do you think? Seemed like the same people from academia plus typical company announcements (e.g. LifeTech is doing better and better, IonTorrent looks good, PacBio is settling into its niche, CGI is doing very well, everyone and their brothers are using Illumina).

          Maybe it's just because the weather in the Bay Area has been incredible the past week.
          Mendelian Disorder: A blogshare of random useful information for general public consumption. [Blog]
          Breakway: A Program to Identify Structural Variations in Genomic Data [Website] [Forum Post]
          Projects: U87MG whole genome sequence [Website] [Paper]

          Comment

          • drio
            Senior Member
            • Oct 2008
            • 323

            #6
            You are right this year there were not big announcements. There were some memorable talks (Rob Knight comes to my mind). But, as usual, the best of AGBT is the networking and being able to hang out with such a interesting (and crazy) people.
            -drd

            Comment

            • flxlex
              Moderator
              • Nov 2008
              • 412

              #7
              I used twitter to follow AGBT and feel I didn't miss much. That is, regarding the talks. Of course I missed out on the networking part...

              Comment

              • krobison
                Senior Member
                • Nov 2007
                • 734

                #8
                But what if the best talks were the untweetable ones?

                Comment

                • Michael.James.Clark
                  Senior Member
                  • Apr 2009
                  • 207

                  #9
                  Originally posted by drio View Post
                  You are right this year there were not big announcements. There were some memorable talks (Rob Knight comes to my mind). But, as usual, the best of AGBT is the networking and being able to hang out with such a interesting (and crazy) people.
                  You are welcome to come hang out with me any time.
                  Mendelian Disorder: A blogshare of random useful information for general public consumption. [Blog]
                  Breakway: A Program to Identify Structural Variations in Genomic Data [Website] [Forum Post]
                  Projects: U87MG whole genome sequence [Website] [Paper]

                  Comment

                  Latest Articles

                  Collapse

                  • SEQadmin2
                    New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
                    by SEQadmin2


                    Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

                    We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing
                    ...
                    Yesterday, 10:25 AM
                  • SEQadmin2
                    How Immunogenomics Decodes Immunity’s Genetic Blueprint
                    by SEQadmin2




                    The immune system’s power comes from its genetic diversity, allowing myriad threats to be neutralized through first recognizing foreign antigens. That diversity is also what makes the immune system so difficult to study. Recent advances in sequencing technology and computational biology, however, are giving researchers new tools to understand immune responses and immune-related diseases in greater detail.

                    This convergence of genetics, immunology, and computation...
                    09-01-2026, 05:41 AM

                  ad_right_rmr

                  Collapse

                  News

                  Collapse

                  Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by SEQadmin2, Today, 09:51 AM
                  0 responses
                  9 views
                  0 reactions
                  Last Post SEQadmin2  
                  Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
                  0 responses
                  32 views
                  0 reactions
                  Last Post SEQadmin2  
                  Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
                  0 responses
                  27 views
                  0 reactions
                  Last Post SEQadmin2  
                  Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
                  1 response
                  48 views
                  0 reactions
                  Last Post pekgio
                  by pekgio
                   
                  Working...