No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mark
    replied
    I like Perl for scripting. It's powerful, very widely used, and has lots of online resources. I also think it's easy to learn to a level that will quickly make you productive. Many people seem to think Python is easy to learn, but the O'Reilly (a publisher of typically great computer books) book "Learning Python" is ~3 times longer than "Learning Perl" and doesn't even cover regular expressions. That's like a driving class that doesn't cover steering. I would steer away from this book if you choose Python. And of course a strong command of unix/linux is highly recommended though I would choose Perl or Python over extensive shell scripting.

Leave a comment:

• rnaseek
    replied
    I am biased and I would strongly encourage to start learning Python first and R as well. Lot of people find it easy to learn Python. Getting the hang of awesome unix commands would also be very useful.

Here are a few links to get started with R and Python
    Beginning to learn Python and in need of free Python materials? There are a number of wonderful Python resources online for free. Here is a list of free python eBooks that can be either read online or downloaded it as pdf files and read at your leisure. Although the Python Documentation is a great resource, […]

R, the preferred programming language for statisticians is also becoming the go to language for “all things data” by non-statisticians as well.  The Comprehensive R Archive Network has a number of free R books or documents available for both beginners and advanced users.   Here is the list of free online R books that can […]

Leave a comment:

• Heisman
    replied
    I started teaching myself a year and a half ago (I'm a tech) and still consider myself a novice, so listen to others as well, but I have found that learning linux really well has been very beneficial. Getting a good understanding of how to write bash scripts as well as the basic linux commands (sed/tr/cut/sort/cat/paste/grep) in addition to learning a bit of awk has been tremendously useful for me.

Leave a comment:

• Developing programming experience for bioinformatics

I have an extensive molecular biology background but am relatively new to bioinformatics. Would like to extend my computational/programming skills to maximize utility in analyzing sequencing and other high-throughput data, as well as to improve my own marketability.

Many job postings refer to some combination of Perl/Python/C++/Java experience. Any suggestions regarding where to focus effort, particularly in a forward-looking manner?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
    Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
    by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
    03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
  • seqadmin
    Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
    by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
    Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
    03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
0 responses
0 likes
Last Post seqadmin  
Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
0 responses