Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGS vs. HTS?

Do people use the term 'Next Generation Sequencing' or 'High throughput sequencing'?

Seems both are somewhat 'relativistic', but is one more accurate than the other? Certainly the former has greater currency, but is the latter gaining traction? Sorry for mixed metaphors ;-)

Cheers,
    Homepage: Dan Bolser
    MetaBase the database of biological databases.

They are interchangeable for many people. I like HTS because what's after the next generation?

Comment

Originally posted by pbluescript View Post
      They are interchangeable for many people. I like HTS because what's after the next generation?
      After next gen comes next gen... just as the 'high' in 'high throughput' keeps increasing ;-)
      Homepage: Dan Bolser
      MetaBase the database of biological databases.

Comment

Originally posted by pbluescript View Post
        In the good old times(tm) when we sequenced the human genome completely with sanger technology, we called it "High Throughput Sequencing" .. more than a decade ago :-) I still use this term for large sanger projects (as this type of sequencing is fairly rare these days, I do not use this term very much).

NGS startet with the new technologies (originally "second generation sequencing") and (at least for me) refers to these new technologies (454, Illumina and friends).

What will follow after next generation sequencing? Surely something with "giga", "tera" or words like "ultimate", "far beyond" etc ;-)

my 2p, Sven

Comment

The problem with HTS is that not all new technologies will be 'high throughput'. Some of the nanopore technologies might actually be on the low side (albeit hopefully with very long reads). GnuBIO would be considered a NGS technology, but the initial throughput will be quite low as it's geared towards targeted sequencing. I suppose the same could be said of the original Ion Torrent PGM chips. So, imperfect as it is, I prefer NGS (as loosely defined as 'post Sanger').

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
          • seqadmin
            Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
            by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
            Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
            03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
          0 responses