FastQ/BAM compression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FastQ/BAM compression

Does anybody know of a more recent comparison of algorithms for fastq/bam compression, than this thread?
    http://seqanswers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6349

Best

CRAM is reference based compression so may or may not be of interest for you. http://www.ebi.ac.uk/ena/about/cram_toolkit/

Comment

Tnx for the prompt answer!

I just tried cram today. The compression ratio is extremely impressive, but it's a too slow for my needs.

Comment

tir_al,

What is the compression ratio? Curious to see before I take a dive with my own data.

Comment

I tried it on 75bp, cca 80 mil. reads, pair end bam file. And it crammed 3.6 GB file into a 257MB archive.

Comment

Originally posted by tir_al View Post
            I tried it on 75bp, cca 80 mil. reads, pair end bam file. And it crammed 3.6 GB file into a 257MB archive.
            Sounds like a promising way to store genomic data in the long run if indexed to hg19?

Comment

Yeah. Preferably for storing old projects.

Comment

Originally posted by tir_al View Post
                Yeah. Preferably for storing old projects.
                Are you sure the effort is going to be worthwhile rather than using plain old tar/gzip combination?

If you are looking at thousands of samples a year then perhaps it may be.

Comment

I currently have no options, and no place for new disk space

Comment

Hi all, I can't figure out how to specify loseless compression using cramTools (ie retain all quality score info), can someone help me out? In NGCs paper they state a few flags which seem to be discontinued in 1.0. Presumably I specify using --lossy-quality-score-spec but I can't figure out how to set it to 'any/all'. I appreciate any help/ideas on this. Also if I am missing the point and the compression inherently removes quality scores I apologise in advance, I am n00 to the area=P
                    Last edited by bruce01; 01-11-2013, 02:55 AM.

Comment

Hi,

I'm in the same situation as Bruce. I want to compress keeping the base call qualities but can't figure out how...

Just did a naïf try:
                      Code:
                      --lossy-quality-score-spec all
                      and got:
                      Code:
                      Exception in thread "main" java.lang.RuntimeException: Uknown read or base category: a
                              at net.sf.cram.lossy.QualityScorePreservation.parseSinglePolicy(QualityScorePreservation.java:138)
                      So apparently you can specify a read name to keep the quality, not of use in my case as I want to keep all of them; and base category. But, what is the base category? I also tried a numeric value in case it referred referred to an index in the read, but with similar result.

Thanks!
                      Pablo.

Comment

Hi Pablo,

found it on the archives of cram mailing list, the call includes: -L m999 (-L flag is your --lossy-quality-score-spec above). All reads are retained, but you lose column 12+ ('info'). This isn't an issue for me, and the compressed cram file for a 1GB bam is 600MB which is pretty good!

Comment

Thanks Bruce,

It's running!
                          For the columns 12+ I guess with the option --capture-tags you can keep tags as the read group which is usually important.

Regards,
                          Pablo.

Comment

I just noticed this thread, rather late.

There is CRAM from EBI, which has long term support and handles random access. It's the most direct competitor to BAM I would guess.

Alternatives are Goby (similar ratios, but even slower from my experience), Quip (faster encoding, great compression ratio, but no(?) random access) and SamComp1/2 (faster encoding, great compression ratio, no random access, and doesn't really implement the full SAM spec - more of a fastq compressor). Finally on that topic there are tools like quip again, fqzcomp and fastqz for compression of FASTQ data. [All 3 of these were SequenceSqueeze competition entries.]

Comment

But as I saw in one of the presentations, it seems CRAM does a lossy conversion from BAM, and introduces false positive and false negatives ? Is CRAM mature now to do a lossless compression from FASTQ and BAM files with random access such as BAM files give ?

Comment

Working...
                              X