No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retrieving data from Y chromosome

Dear all,

I have obtained Rad-Tag sequences from a set of 80 samples from a wild mammal, 40 from males and 40 from females, in an attempt to isolate some Y chromosome sequences and do some male specific populationg enetic analyses. I've also produced a reference genome from a male individual that was de novo assembled due to the lack of reference. What I've done so far was to map all the males and all the females to the reference separately using BWA and samtools, and produced two VCF files, one for all the male, one for all the females. I then compared the two VCF file using vcftools, and my expectation was to find a set of SNP's that would only appear on males, and those would be good candidates to be located in the Y. So far so good.

The problem is the output. It turns out that I have more SNP's that are exclusive to females thna SNP's hat are exclusive to males, which I wouldn't expect. And when I blast the contigs against which only male SNP's mapped, only one acutally blasts to Y chromosome of a closely related species. All the other blast against genes that are fairly conserved among mammals, and are always located outside the Y chromosome.

So my question here is, any ideas on what I'm doing wrong? Conceptually, this approach should work but it is not. Also, any ideas of what else I could do to isolate Y chromoseome sequences from the data I have? Any help would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks.

What is your home made reference, a few hundred contigs?

Comment

Hi, thanks for your reply. My reference genome has around 3,300,000 contigs and their mean length is about 560 bp (meaning the genome is around 1.8 Gb in lenght). It's a 20X coverage, and it was made using one short insert library and one long distance jumping library. Hope this helps.

Cheers

Comment

Ok. So only thing I can think of is ... your female samples have a smaller target (Genome_size - chrY_size) so you have more reads hitting the (Genome_size - chrY_size)
        area in female samples, so you have more evidence to make a SNP call so you get more SNPs.

I'm hoping some else can come up with a better explanation.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
          by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
          04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
        • seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
        0 responses