Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • jkersh
    Member
    • Apr 2010
    • 11

    #1

    Newbie questions on computers and programs

    Hi, I have just started a project that involves resequencing E. coli strains to identify SNPs and have no idea where to go for information. We have access to an Illumina GA system but have no idea what kind of software we would need to align to a reference genome or call SNPs. Additionally we are interested in using barcodes to save some money by multiplexing. I have a good idea that we will be purchasing a computer to handle everything, but all of the information I have found tells me what I need for handling significantly larger genomes.

    If anyone has any experience working with smaller and less complex bacterial genomes I could really use the help, nobody around here does anything except worm and human.
  • HESmith
    Senior Member
    • Oct 2009
    • 512

    #2
    I'm currently analyzing the same type of data (SNPs and indels from bar-coded E. coli mutants). I'm using BFAST (available at www.sourceforge.net) and SAMtools on a desktop workstation (four Xeon CPUs, 6 GB RAM, 500 GB drive). I'll probably double the amount of RAM so everything will run faster, but otherwise it's fine for my purposes.

    Harold

    P.S.-This set-up would probably work for worms, too (at least, I hope it will), but is not adequate for humans.

    Comment

    Latest Articles

    Collapse

    • SEQadmin2
      New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
      by SEQadmin2


      Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

      We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing
      ...
      09-28-2026, 10:25 AM
    • SEQadmin2
      How Immunogenomics Decodes Immunity’s Genetic Blueprint
      by SEQadmin2




      The immune system’s power comes from its genetic diversity, allowing myriad threats to be neutralized through first recognizing foreign antigens. That diversity is also what makes the immune system so difficult to study. Recent advances in sequencing technology and computational biology, however, are giving researchers new tools to understand immune responses and immune-related diseases in greater detail.

      This convergence of genetics, immunology, and computation...
      09-01-2026, 05:41 AM

    ad_right_rmr

    Collapse

    News

    Collapse

    Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by SEQadmin2, Yesterday, 09:51 AM
    0 responses
    13 views
    0 reactions
    Last Post SEQadmin2  
    Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
    0 responses
    37 views
    0 reactions
    Last Post SEQadmin2  
    Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
    0 responses
    28 views
    0 reactions
    Last Post SEQadmin2  
    Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
    1 response
    48 views
    0 reactions
    Last Post pekgio
    by pekgio
     
    Working...