Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • sampie
    Member
    • Jun 2014
    • 10

    #1

    How to generate consensus sequence for all refs

    Hi,

    I have been trying to use samtools to create consensus sequences. However, it seems that conseqs.fastq (see command below) is missing consensus sequences for most reference sequences.

    --- samtools command ---
    samtools mpileup -uf ref.fa sorted.bam | bcftools view -cg - | /usr/share/samtools/vcfutils.pl vcf2fq > conseqs.fastq
    ----

    In IGV, I can create consensus sequence for all references (one by one). I would like to create the consensus sequences with a command line tool like samtools. Is there a way to make samtools to produce all consensus sequences like IGV does?

    Thanks
  • Antony03
    Member
    • Apr 2012
    • 53

    #2
    You should take a look at UGENE. I know this tool can produces consensus with a graphical interface and in command line.

    Comment

    • sampie
      Member
      • Jun 2014
      • 10

      #3
      Thanks for reply! UGENE looks like a good tool. However, I was unable to find out how to build consensus sequence with UGENE command line. Can I have an example of a command that can be used to build consensus sequences from ref.fasta and sorted.bam files?

      Comment

      • sampie
        Member
        • Jun 2014
        • 10

        #4
        Hi,

        I tried to isolate a ref sequence and try with that. So, I have ref.fasta with only one sequence. I have also sorted.bam which is an alignment against the ref.fasta. It seems samtools is not working even in case of just one reference.

        Samtools gives an empty mpileup (that is no lines after "#CHROM POS ID..." line) with command: samtools mpileup -uf ref.fasta sorted.bam | bcftools view -cg -

        However, IGV is able to give a consensus sequence (see below). The consensus sequence has only a small sequence (ACGT) portions. Could there be somekind of filtering attached to samtools mpileup, which prevents it from giving the wanted consensus sequence?

        Thanks

        NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
        NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
        NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
        NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
        NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNTCACCAGGGC
        GACGATGCGTAGCCGGCCTGAGAGGGTGGACGGCCACACTGGGACTGAGACACGGCCCAGACTCCTACGGGAGGCAGCAGTA
        GGGAATTTTNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
        NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
        NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
        NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
        NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
        NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
        NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNCAATAAGTATCCCGCCTGGGGAGTACGG
        CCGCAAGGYTGAAACTCAAAGGAATTGACGGGGGCCCGCACAAGCGGTGGAGYATGTGGTTTAATTCGAMGCAACGCGAAGAA
        CCTTACCAGGTCTTGACATCNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
        NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
        NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
        NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
        NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
        NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
        NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
        Last edited by sampie; 10-07-2014, 05:18 AM.

        Comment

        Latest Articles

        Collapse

        • SEQadmin2
          New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
          by SEQadmin2


          Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

          We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing
          ...
          09-28-2026, 10:25 AM
        • SEQadmin2
          How Immunogenomics Decodes Immunity’s Genetic Blueprint
          by SEQadmin2




          The immune system’s power comes from its genetic diversity, allowing myriad threats to be neutralized through first recognizing foreign antigens. That diversity is also what makes the immune system so difficult to study. Recent advances in sequencing technology and computational biology, however, are giving researchers new tools to understand immune responses and immune-related diseases in greater detail.

          This convergence of genetics, immunology, and computation...
          09-01-2026, 05:41 AM

        ad_right_rmr

        Collapse

        News

        Collapse

        Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by SEQadmin2, Yesterday, 09:51 AM
        0 responses
        11 views
        0 reactions
        Last Post SEQadmin2  
        Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
        0 responses
        34 views
        0 reactions
        Last Post SEQadmin2  
        Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
        0 responses
        28 views
        0 reactions
        Last Post SEQadmin2  
        Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
        1 response
        48 views
        0 reactions
        Last Post pekgio
        by pekgio
         
        Working...