No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inexperienced Question

Hello,

I have a project that requires access to an "online cancer related DNA database resource."

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like I can get access to CGHub. Would someone mind helping me? (i.e. perhaps suggest one that I can access)

Thank you!

You don't mention if it should be of free access or not

Comment

AntonioRFranco - Thanks for the reply. Yes, free.

Comment

There are at least a couple of companies that offer different views of the TCGA data via web. Search on SeqAnswers.

Comment

Registered SEQanswers sponsors/vendors can post commercial content here. Please support our sponsors!

Discussion of next-gen sequencing related bioinformatics: resources, algorithms, open source efforts, etc

Comment

GenoMax - Thanks for the reply. I probably should have mentioned the before: select ten (10) DNA sequence strings of length at least 1Mb related to a cancer gene from ten different individuals. Make sure the sequence data is in FASTQ format and stored in one file “DNA.fas”.

Comment

Now you say

You are not going to find DNA sequences in fastq format that are 1Mb in length unless you assemble them yourself preserving the Q-scores (assembly programs do not include Q-scores in final sequence).

Comment

I have a few days to work on this project. I'm lost.

Comment

Tell us more about what the entire project is about. DNA sequence is just a part of it?

Comment

GenoMax - Thanks again for your suggestions and assistance. I'm just a little reluctant to say more about this project right now. I hope you understand.

Comment

Though I don't feel I was doing anything unethical, others may disagree. Therefore, I deleted the complete requirements to avoid any conflict. Thank you.
                      Last edited by cambridge101; 12-19-2014, 08:08 AM. Reason: Information not necessary.

Comment

I think you should delete the description from the post above. This appears to be a class project/home work?

Perhaps you should ask whoever assigned the project if they are certain about the fastq requirement.

Comment

Thanks for your suggestion. I don't think I'll delete it[Did decide to delete]. I don't feel that I'm doing anything unethical. I hope that it's clear that I'm not asking for anyone to complete the project for me. I'm just having a hard time finding that FASTQ data I need.
                          Last edited by cambridge101; 12-19-2014, 08:10 AM. Reason: Inconsistant with edit to earlier post.

Comment

One place to look for long sequences (in fastq format) will be here: http://www.pacificbiosciences.com/ne.../publications/ I see only a couple of cancer related publication and they are from 2012 (when the reads were not as long as they are today).

If you drop the cancer requirement then you will get some really long reads here: http://blog.pacificbiosciences.com/2...d-shotgun.html They are not going to be 1Mb so you would still need to do some assembly.

Comment

Originally posted by GenoMax View Post
                              One place to look for long sequences (in fastq format) will be here: http://www.pacificbiosciences.com/ne.../publications/ I see only a couple of cancer related publication and they are from 2012 (when the reads were not as long as they are today).

If you drop the cancer requirement then you will get some really long reads here: http://blog.pacificbiosciences.com/2...d-shotgun.html They are not going to be 1Mb so you would still need to do some assembly.
                              Thanks! I'm not sure I can drop the cancer requirement. I checked: http://www.pacificbiosciences.com/ne.../publications/ I couldn't locate the data I need.

I'm open to other suggestions if anyone has any.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                              • seqadmin
                                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post seqadmin  
                              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                              0 responses