Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Adham
    Junior Member
    • May 2015
    • 2

    #1

    Comparing bacterial genomes

    Hi everybody,
    I am beginner in the field of bacterial genomics and bioinformatics, and I have 8 de novo assembled bacterial genomes and 2 ref. genomes from NCBI. I would like compare all the 10 genomes against each other to to detect the unique sequence fragments (or genes) that are present only in my genomes, also the similarities to the ref. genomes.

    I hope that someone could help me with suggestions on how I could do so and which tool(s) or scripts are available for this purpose.


    Thank you so much in advance
  • GenoMax
    Senior Member
    • Feb 2008
    • 7142

    #2
    Try Mauve: http://darlinglab.org/mauve/mauve.html

    Comment

    • yzzhang
      Member
      • Jan 2013
      • 67

      #3
      If you want to focus on genes, you can try blast methods such as bidirectional best hit, OMCL, etc. several software can do this. I used Get_homologues and it worked well.

      Comment

      • Adham
        Junior Member
        • May 2015
        • 2

        #4
        GenoMax and yzzhang, Thank you so much for your prompt reply.
        Indeed, I was algined my genomes using Mauve, but I could only check it manually.
        Is there a way to export the differences as fasta file or table with start and end positions?

        Thank you so much

        Comment

        • GenoMax
          Senior Member
          • Feb 2008
          • 7142

          #5
          Different kinds of files mauve produces: http://darlinglab.org/mauve/user-guide/files.html

          Comment

          Latest Articles

          Collapse

          • SEQadmin2
            New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
            by SEQadmin2


            Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

            We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing
            ...
            Today, 10:25 AM
          • SEQadmin2
            How Immunogenomics Decodes Immunity’s Genetic Blueprint
            by SEQadmin2




            The immune system’s power comes from its genetic diversity, allowing myriad threats to be neutralized through first recognizing foreign antigens. That diversity is also what makes the immune system so difficult to study. Recent advances in sequencing technology and computational biology, however, are giving researchers new tools to understand immune responses and immune-related diseases in greater detail.

            This convergence of genetics, immunology, and computation...
            09-01-2026, 05:41 AM

          ad_right_rmr

          Collapse

          News

          Collapse

          Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
          0 responses
          27 views
          0 reactions
          Last Post SEQadmin2  
          Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
          0 responses
          24 views
          0 reactions
          Last Post SEQadmin2  
          Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
          1 response
          45 views
          0 reactions
          Last Post pekgio
          by pekgio
           
          Started by SEQadmin2, 09-16-2026, 10:23 AM
          1 response
          55 views
          0 reactions
          Last Post pekgio
          by pekgio
           
          Working...