No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bioinformatics PhD problem at Leipzig University

Dear All

I am writing to all for taking suggestions for problems in my PhD. My webpage is www.tinyurl.com/abinarain .

My situation is very unusual. I enrolled for a self-funded PhD with external supervisors from University of Leipzig at the Faculty of Mathematics and Informatics - with thesis in a bioinformatics topic. I published 5 international conference papers and 1 journal paper, and wrote a 200 pages monograph. Unfortunately, in the journal paper that I published, even though I showed the pre-print to my supervisors, I had forgotten to put a previous conference paper of mine in reference section. Although the journal paper was an improvement of the conference paper in terms of new information provided, the PhD committee told me that this was not acceptable. I offered them the option of removing that paper and related chapter from my thesis, and showed commitment to write more papers to make up for it. However, the University did not allow me any choice, and have simply asked me to start a fresh PhD elsewhere. The department made use of my paper on their webpage for advertisements and attracting grant money, and I was paid nothing during my PhD. To make matters worse, I could not even sue the University, given that I was not physically based in Germany when all this happened. The University is not even facilitating a transfer- if this is what they want. I feel cheated for the loss of time, effort, intellectual property and the money invested for living expenses.

What can be done ? I have sent several emails to various officers of the University and the department, and to my supervisor past 1.5 years, however, nothing has happened to my benefit. I had no clue that the German system of PhD was such a cruel system. My supervisors were well aware of my past work, and if they wanted, they could have well informed me about this issue at the time they saw the pre-print of the paper.

What can be done ? Can I take legal action on the University, if I return to Germany again - under the pretext that I was not living in Germany when all these decisions were being taken against me ? What else can be done ? You can also drop me email at [email protected] .

Abi

Do I understand correctly that you have given a pre-print paper that is more or less identical to another publication of yours? And you forgot to reference this first paper? Could you maybe share links to these two publications?

And you meant that the university used your paper to get funding. Could you please explain that in more detail?

Don't get me wrong. I would just like to understand this a little more, since these are strong accusations you are posting here.

Comment

That doesn't seem to be the only major problem you have. One short google brought me to this page. I don't know if such a public display is the best way to solve your problems. Distributing private emails on the Internet is not legal in Europe, by the way.

I'm going to leave here, because you obviously don't want to solve a problem, but rather to show off your person. Nevertheless, I wish you continued success on your path (even if I would take it differently).

Comment

Hi @larsB . You seem to have personality disorder. When I am pointing to my current issue at LEIPZIG University, you are referring to a 15 year old problem at Cambridge University. Indeed, there were problems of racism and stealing at Cambridge University as well, however, I did not continue there to submit a PhD thesis - the lab and the people there were not a fit for me - glad that it did not work there. Here, in the current context, I am talking about PhD submmitted status at Leipzig University, where the papers I published did lead to visibility of the Leipzig University to whatever contribution a PhD student can by means of his intellectual work. In exchange the student expects the University to provide support to help him finish his PhD degree. This is where the problem lies. Even if I accept that I forgot to put the conference paper in reference of the journal paper that I submitted and published, clearly neither my supervisors told me about this issue when I showed them the preprint nor the editors of the journal found my conference paper citable. Given that I was a PhD student, the University could have well given me a chance to do further work and add more papers to my thesis and help me graduate. Instead, they simply made my hard work go waste and did not even realize how much it takes to publish 5 international conference papers an 1 journal paper! That is why I am raising my voice in this public bioinformatics platform.

Comment

I have a personality disorder???

Comment

Because, you are citing an example of 15 year old Certificate of Diligent Study program - which I did for just 1 academic year. Here the context is PhD thesis submission. I printed and submitted my PhD thesis only when my supervisors told me to do. If my supervisor had found this problem, they should have not told me to do this. In fact, they could have told me to work extra and produce few more papers before submitting the thesis to PhD committee. The bureaucracy of University is being exposed here.

Comment

@LarsB - don't you know the economics of publications ? You can use the ideas to write research grants and claim the publications as a prior work needed to advance the work further.

Comment

Wrong platform for a vendetta.
                ecSeq Bioinformatics is Europe’s leading provider of hands-on bioinformatics workshops and professional data analysis in the field of Next-Generation Sequencing (NGS).

Comment

I am looking for suggestions. Is there anyone out here who can help me for a transfer in PhD ?

Comment

Maybe you shouldn't insult people here and tell them they have a personality disorder. I don't know if anybody here would recommend such a person to any professor.

I'm afraid I can't help you.
                    ecSeq Bioinformatics is Europe’s leading provider of hands-on bioinformatics workshops and professional data analysis in the field of Next-Generation Sequencing (NGS).

Comment

Sure, this is a general advertisement for everyone.

Comment

New BIOINFORMATICS BOOK

Thrilled to announce that I have published a book as a single author in the field of life science informatics. The book is titled "BIOINFORMATICS: Big Data & Machine Learning in Biochemical Pathways". Available at Amazon & Flipkart .

This link will take you to a page that’s not on LinkedIn

Attached Files

Comment

New BIOINFORMATICS BOOK

Thrilled to announce that I have published a book as a single author in the field of life science informatics. The book is titled "BIOINFORMATICS: Big Data & Machine Learning in Biochemical Pathways". Available at Amazon & Flipkart .

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                          • seqadmin
                            Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                            by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                            Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                            03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                          0 responses
                          0 likes
                          Last Post seqadmin  
                          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                          0 responses