Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • whaleberg
    Junior Member
    • May 2011
    • 2

    #1

    Generating simulated paired end reads

    I'm writing a NSG simulator as part of a project for my school. I'm trying to simulate fastq paired-end data, but I'm unsure of the formatting for doing so. I'm producing simulated reads and successfully aligning them in BWA for single ended data, but when I try to produce pairs I end up with various alignment errors. I read that for BWA, the reads in the second alignment file should be the reverse complement.

    If I have a base sequence and a simulated a pair of reads from each end like this...
    Code:
                AAAGGGTTCTC
    read        AAAG
    read               TCTC
    I'm outputing
    file1
    read/1 AAAG

    file2
    read/2 TCTC

    (along with the quality scores and the rest of the formatting)

    Is that the way they should be? It doesn't seem to work, so I'm guessing not, but neither does not doing the reverse complement. I suspect I'm missing something about how pairs of reads are represented.


    I may also have the naming conventions wrong. Should paired reads be separated into 2 different files and labeled <read-name>/1 and <read-name>/2? Ultimately they get rolled into 1 file, so should I be putting them together into 1?

    I'm not sure if I have a software bug and am just producing wrong data, or if I'm producing the right thing but formatting it wrong.

    Does anyone have an example of correct formatting that I could use as a template? I have had trouble locating an example.

    Any help would be appreciated.
  • proteomania
    Member
    • Sep 2010
    • 11

    #2
    If you are talking about the illumina standard pair-end seq, i think i should be

    file1
    read/1 AAAG

    file2
    read/2 GAGA

    Our illumina data look this way. The mate are on opposite strands although the library is not strand specific.

    hope it helps.

    Comment

    • whaleberg
      Junior Member
      • May 2011
      • 2

      #3
      Thank you, that is helpful. I had tried doing it that way, but I was still getting weird results. It must be a bug in something else, not that way I'm formatting them.

      Comment

      • husamia
        Member
        • Apr 2010
        • 66

        #4
        do you mean that they are not aligning correctly or what?

        Comment

        Latest Articles

        Collapse

        • SEQadmin2
          New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
          by SEQadmin2


          Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

          We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing
          ...
          Yesterday, 10:25 AM
        • SEQadmin2
          How Immunogenomics Decodes Immunity’s Genetic Blueprint
          by SEQadmin2




          The immune system’s power comes from its genetic diversity, allowing myriad threats to be neutralized through first recognizing foreign antigens. That diversity is also what makes the immune system so difficult to study. Recent advances in sequencing technology and computational biology, however, are giving researchers new tools to understand immune responses and immune-related diseases in greater detail.

          This convergence of genetics, immunology, and computation...
          09-01-2026, 05:41 AM

        ad_right_rmr

        Collapse

        News

        Collapse

        Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by SEQadmin2, Today, 09:51 AM
        0 responses
        9 views
        0 reactions
        Last Post SEQadmin2  
        Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
        0 responses
        32 views
        0 reactions
        Last Post SEQadmin2  
        Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
        0 responses
        27 views
        0 reactions
        Last Post SEQadmin2  
        Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
        1 response
        48 views
        0 reactions
        Last Post pekgio
        by pekgio
         
        Working...