Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please don't eat me.

Hello SeqAnswers community! Very glad to have found this forum. I apologize in advance for asking what to some might be obvious questions, but having recently made the switch from bench to desktop, I anticipate having a lot of those! Maybe with your collective insight and expertise that elusive PhD will no longer elude me! Cheers, B

Hi. When you ask questions -- and I hope you do -- please make sure that you have done your homework first. I.e., read the previous forum posts. I suspect that we all love new and interesting problems and questions yet dislike people who just post without doing their footwork first.

Comment

Originally posted by westerman View Post
      Hi. When you ask questions -- and I hope you do -- please make sure that you have done your homework first. I.e., read the previous forum posts. I suspect that we all love new and interesting problems and questions yet dislike people who just post without doing their footwork first.
      I wish there was some way to filter posts based on this advice. There are many posts I don't even respond to just because I'd rather not do someone's searches for them.

Comment

Yeah, but there is little "expert knowledge" in a web search. I don't mind so much answering questions that I could answer using a web search. I supposedly have years of training and can weigh available information to quickly find salient info.

I mind posts where the poster did not even bother to clearly specify their question -- provide enough information that it is possible to give a good answer.

--
        Phillip

Comment

Originally posted by pbluescript View Post
          I wish there was some way to filter posts based on this advice. There are many posts I don't even respond to just because I'd rather not do someone's searches for them.
          Also in the case of student posts, I think it is very important not to interfere at all with the very valuable learning process that goes along with the searching. That's why I am in favor of those in the forum who want questions with more detail as to the scope of the problem--this helps to determine whether a quick technical pointer is really in order.

And I suggest an abbreviation like "SES" = "someone else's search" as a response/cue for impatient seekers.

Comment

Thanks!

Thanks everyone. I will definitely scour the web and program documentation and attempt things on my own before posting!

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
            • seqadmin
              Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
              by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
              Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
              03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
            0 responses