Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • dhatziioanou
    Junior Member
    • Aug 2012
    • 8

    #1

    Newbe struggling

    Hello everyone,

    I'm new to genome assemblies and am trying to patch together de novo a genome without an available reference (expected size 20-100 Mb).
    I've got about 32 files of paired end Illumina MiSeq reads with mostly 150bp but also 75bp reads which I've been trimming with cutadapt, fastqGroomed, currently trying to make Quake work on them and hopefully that will help stitch it all together in a better way than my employer already has which results in over 66.000 scaffolds! For the assembly I'm going to try SOAP de novo and ALLPATHS-LG.

    Any tips or links to pipelines for something similar would be appreciated. Also can anyone tell me if I should be combining my sequence files before running Quake or not? FastQC shows me I've got between 8 and 35% duplicates in my sequence files.
  • GenoMax
    Senior Member
    • Feb 2008
    • 7142

    #2
    Originally posted by dhatziioanou View Post
    Hello everyone,

    I'm new to genome assemblies and am trying to patch together de novo a genome without an available reference (expected size 20-100 Mb).
    That is a rather wide range. Is that the best guesstimate you have? Is there a related genome available that can allow you to refine that range? Is this a haploid, diploid or "something else" genome? Is anything known about presence/absence of repeats?

    Comment

    • dhatziioanou
      Junior Member
      • Aug 2012
      • 8

      #3
      So far the only sequenced genomes of closely related species I can find are 27-32 Mb but other slightly further related species range from 13-100 Mb.
      It should be a diploid and I'm expecting plenty of repeats and HGT.

      Basically I'm thinking that using Quake and then khmer may help selectively assemble the best sequences into a backbone to then assemble the rest of the sequences around, any opinions on this? I technically have well over 50x coverage from the reads so I'm thinking the coverage should theoretically be good enough to sacrifice as many sequences necessary in the name of quality and a more realistic assembly.

      Comment

      • westerman
        Rick Westerman
        • Jun 2008
        • 1104

        #4
        You could try the 'mira' assembler which should handle a lot of the potential problems and can work on smaller genomes.

        Comment

        Latest Articles

        Collapse

        • SEQadmin2
          New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
          by SEQadmin2


          Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

          We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing
          ...
          Yesterday, 10:25 AM
        • SEQadmin2
          How Immunogenomics Decodes Immunity’s Genetic Blueprint
          by SEQadmin2




          The immune system’s power comes from its genetic diversity, allowing myriad threats to be neutralized through first recognizing foreign antigens. That diversity is also what makes the immune system so difficult to study. Recent advances in sequencing technology and computational biology, however, are giving researchers new tools to understand immune responses and immune-related diseases in greater detail.

          This convergence of genetics, immunology, and computation...
          09-01-2026, 05:41 AM

        ad_right_rmr

        Collapse

        News

        Collapse

        Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by SEQadmin2, Today, 09:51 AM
        0 responses
        7 views
        0 reactions
        Last Post SEQadmin2  
        Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
        0 responses
        31 views
        0 reactions
        Last Post SEQadmin2  
        Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
        0 responses
        26 views
        0 reactions
        Last Post SEQadmin2  
        Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
        1 response
        47 views
        0 reactions
        Last Post pekgio
        by pekgio
         
        Working...