Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Field guide to next-generation DNA sequencers.

Looks like an interesting read that Newsbot missed. Link here: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21592312

Field guide to next-generation DNA sequencers.
    Glenn TC.
    Source
    Department of Environmental Health Science and Georgia Genomics Facility, Environmental Health Science Building, University of Georgia, Athens, GA 30602, USA.
    Abstract
    The diversity of available 2(nd) and 3(rd) generation DNA sequencing platforms is increasing rapidly. Costs for these systems range from <$100 000 to more than $1 000 000, with instrument run times ranging from minutes to weeks. Extensive trade-offs exist among these platforms. I summarize the major characteristics of each commercially available platform to enable direct comparisons. In terms of cost per megabase (Mb) of sequence, the Illumina and SOLiD platforms are clearly superior (≤$0.10/Mb vs. >$10/Mb for 454 and some Ion Torrent chips). In terms of cost per nonmultiplexed sample and instrument run time, the Pacific Biosciences and Ion Torrent platforms excel, with the 454 GS Junior and Illumina MiSeq also notable in this regard. All platforms allow multiplexing of samples, but details of library preparation, experimental design and data analysis can constrain the options. The wide range of characteristics among available platforms provides opportunities both to conduct groundbreaking studies and to waste money on scales that were previously infeasible. Thus, careful thought about the desired characteristics of these systems is warranted before purchasing or using any of them. Updated information from this guide will be maintained at: http://dna.uga.edu/ and http://tomato.biol.trinity.edu/blog/.

© 2011 Blackwell Publishing Ltd.

PMID: 21592312 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]

thanks but I can't get a copy of the transcript

update:
    found it here

Last edited by husamia; 05-21-2011, 12:41 PM. Reason: update

Comment

E-mail the author ([email protected]) and he will send you a pdf. Updated tables are available at:
      These pages update the tables presented in Travis Glenn’s (2011) “Field Guide to Next Generation DNA Sequencers” for 2016 values. Previous years’ tables have been archived: 2011, 2012, …
      Last edited by BadDNA; 07-15-2011, 05:20 AM. Reason: updated information

Comment

Comparison of Sequence Reads Obtained from Three Next-Generation Sequencing Platforms

Next-generation sequencing technologies enable the rapid cost-effective production of sequence data. To evaluate the performance of these sequencing technologies, investigation of the quality of sequence reads obtained from these methods is important. In this study, we analyzed the quality of sequence reads and SNP detection performance using three commercially available next-generation sequencers, i.e., Roche Genome Sequencer FLX System (FLX), Illumina Genome Analyzer (GA), and Applied Biosystems SOLiD system (SOLiD).

Next-generation sequencing technologies enable the rapid cost-effective production of sequence data. To evaluate the performance of these sequencing technologies, investigation of the quality of sequence reads obtained from these methods is important. In this study, we analyzed the quality of sequence reads and SNP detection performance using three commercially available next-generation sequencers, i.e., Roche Genome Sequencer FLX System (FLX), Illumina Genome Analyzer (GA), and Applied Biosystems SOLiD system (SOLiD). A common genomic DNA sample obtained from Escherichia coli strain DH1 was applied to these sequencers. The obtained sequence reads were aligned to the complete genome sequence of E. coli DH1, to evaluate the accuracy and sequence bias of these sequence methods. We found that the fraction of “junk” data, which could not be aligned to the reference genome, was largest in the data set of SOLiD, in which about half of reads could not be aligned. Among data sets after alignment to the reference, sequence accuracy was poorest in GA data sets, suggesting relatively low fidelity of the elongation reaction in the GA method. Furthermore, by aligning the sequence reads to the E. coli strain W3110, we screened sequence differences between two E. coli strains using data sets of three different next-generation platforms. The results revealed that the detected sequence differences were similar among these three methods, while the sequence coverage required for the detection was significantly small in the FLX data set. These results provided valuable information on the quality of short sequence reads and the performance of SNP detection in three next-generation sequencing platforms.
        FullGenomes Kit 045DV YFull Terminal SNP Y2846 FTDNA Kit 52277 M35>V12>CTS693>CTS3346>Y2877>CTS6667>CTS8411>Y2846 MTdna U4b1a3a

Comment

That study looks good (very detailed). It is exactly what is needed to compare across platforms; someone independently running the same templates on multiple platforms (as is called for within the Field Guide). Unfortunately, the supplementary files are messed up (the first file is doc & should be excel, and the second is excel, but should be doc), so I couldn't tell when the data were collected (i.e., what version of the chemistry for each platform was used?). From the read-lengths, it looks like the data are perhaps 3 years old. I'm not tossing any stones (I have much older unpublished data), but the chemistry & performance is a moving target. The 454 data are probably still pretty relevant (and surprisingly good), but I would guess the current SOLiD chemistry would do a little better & the current Illumina chemistry would do significantly better.

If there were more recently collected data analyzed in the same way, that would be very interesting to compare with these data.

Comment

SEQanswers Open?

Rather than depend on what shows up randomly in the published literature, could not this forum run a yearly "SEQanswers Open" on a standard template? This event could actually complement student lab training programs and promote platform understanding, excellence and standardized techniques among upcoming trainees.

Comment

Originally posted by Joann View Post
              Rather than depend on what shows up randomly in the published literature, could not this forum run a yearly "SEQanswers Open" on a standard template? This event could actually complement student lab training programs and promote platform understanding, excellence and standardized techniques among upcoming trainees.
              This is interesting, but I'm not sure I get exactly what you mean. A yearly review of literature? A yearly benchmark of sequencer performance? A conference? Maybe this should be split out into a new thread?

Comment

Originally posted by ECO View Post
                This is interesting, but I'm not sure I get exactly what you mean. A yearly review of literature? A yearly benchmark of sequencer performance? A conference? Maybe this should be split out into a new thread?
                Honestly I think only once a year is too few considering how rapidly things are moving and the number of emerging technologies. Maybe twice a year?

Comment

Basically with reference to the literature above, groups (in training, even) could periodically run a standard template on their machine and properly report the data people want to see. Nothing fancy.

Comment

now that users can make barcoded libraries this could be done pretty easily. Someone just needs to make a big stock and send it out for free.

Comment

Originally posted by james hadfield View Post
                      now that users can make barcoded libraries this could be done pretty easily. Someone just needs to make a big stock and send it out for free.
                      Good idea. I'd be up for it and or distributing/organizing...

Comment

Neat idea! I'd suggest a standard bacterial strain (E.coli DH10B?) as then all variants can be considered errors.

A related notion would be a place for people to post any standard dataset or even just some standard run statistics for their platforms.

Comment

Originally posted by james hadfield View Post
                          I concur, this is a great idea. A little confused though about the best way to standardize a sample so that everyone is sequencing the same material. Is the idea to grow up and do a big E. coli (e.g. DH10B) genomic prep, have one or a few sites sequence this material and settle on a reference? Alternatively, to ensure everyone is sequencing the same fragments from the same reference, we could clone a library of a modest genome (maybe yeast is better that E. coli so there will not be any contaminating host DNA) and then distribute that library as DNA to anyone who asks? I'd be willing to make the library if anyone thinks it worthwhile. Not sure that the advantages of the latter approach outweigh its negatives.

Comment

Originally posted by Joann View Post
                            I think it is a great idea. Through reading some next-gen-related blogs, I came across a google-shared document:

https://spreadsheets0.google.com/spr...Lw&hl=en#gid=0.

We do not have to use it as is but the idea is there. Can we adopt a similar document/format on this site? I believe the next-related software wiki took a similar route. At the beginning, it is a bunch of threads and later there were structured ways to present, update, and organize information.

Douglas

Comment

regarding the actual subject of the thread, does anyone know where to get $-750 ion torrent sequencing? (see table 2)

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                                by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                                04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                              • seqadmin
                                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post seqadmin  
                              Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                              0 responses