Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welcome to the Nanny State...err....California

CA does it again, sticking another knife in personal liberties. The Department of Public Health has stomped its little foot to try to stop personal genomics companies from offering their services.

Best quote of the article...

"These businesses are apparently operating without a clinical laboratory license in California. The genetic tests have not been validated for clinical utility and accuracy," says Nickel. "And they are scaring a lot of people to death."
    Wow...just wow.

Well, I have to say that I don't know a lot about these companies or how they're running, but I do think they should have some kind of regulation in terms of providing people with accurate and meaningful information, probably with the offer of some kind of personalized counseling to help them understand what they're seeing and reading.

Comment

Well, obviously, the solution is to have a GENE SHERPA on staff.

heh

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Gunn View Post
        Well, obviously, the solution is to have a GENE SHERPA on staff.

heh
        Wow, I hadn't been back there in a couple days...the rest of the community really lit into him didn't they? Well it's a good discussion, and I do applaud him for actually approving all those comments that attack him.

Let's hope he stews on that and changes his opinion.

Comment

Well, I wouldn't be too quick to congratulate him. My latest, where I compared him to the RIAA , hasn't been approved. Also, I just saw this: http://epidemix.org/blog/?p=249

Comment

Funny stuff...but unfortunately really important social/freedom issues are at hand.

I love the term "rent seeking" I need to use that more often.

Comment

Oh man, I take it all back...he's at it again:

To usher in the new paradigm of personalized medicine we will need to travel a perilous path. Much like the route through the Himalayas it has punished the naive and self-reliant. That is why I have dedicated my life to being a Gene Sherpa. What is a gene sherpa? The Sherpa speaks the language of the trail, he/she knows short cuts and dangerous paths to avoid. This blog is for those wishing to take the journey and those wishing to become Gene Sherpas.

It's amazing that someone so intelligent can't grasp that HIS BUSINESS will profit from DTC testing, as these wealthy, smart customers look for a more in depth interpretation of this data.

Comment

Guys....come on...

Your arguments keep revolving around sequencing companies!!! There are 11 other companies named. I have 20 patients who are of the big 3. I know that they make good patients. But I have many many more BRCA patients. We make no money from testing patients. we make money for consultative services and pedigree interpretation. SNP interpretation too. But absolutely no more money than from those who do not test. This is a principle. SNPs without interpretation is just Data, with interpretation is Medical Genetics. The problem I see is that this field went largely unregulated for the last 30 years. And now some real crazies have been offering genetic testing. Remember, this is DTC genetic testing too. I think all of you posted smart and well thought out opinions. I just respectfully disagree. No one is saying 23andMe or Navi are dummies. In fact, Dietrich Stephan is brilliant, so is David Agus. The likely scenario is that they and they other 2 got some really bad legal advice. I think if the lawyers knew what I did they would have advised that they set up partnerships with physicians. One company did try, but they tried to get me to sell genetic tests wholesale. That my friends is Illegal. See Stark II. This is further proof that they had some bunk legal advice.

-Steve

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                  by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                  04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                • seqadmin
                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                0 responses