X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• yog77
    replied
    Originally posted by Jeremy37 View Post
    Will all of your amplicons be exactly 200 bp long?
    And are you aligning to a reference genome after sequencing?
    I'm just thinking that if you're not aligning, and your reads don't overlap, then how will you know the actual insert size -- i.e. how many nt are between your PE reads.

In terms of size, though, having some be less than 200 nt and having the PE reads overlap is no problem. I've seen a number of our samples have low insert sizes close to a mean of 180 nt, with a distribution around that (i.e. some < 150 nt), and aligning to the reference human genome has been no problem.
    You just don't want your inserts to be so short that you start reading through them into the adaptor sequences. But it sounds like that wouldn't be the case here.
    ====
    Thanks for the quick response

I was hoping to generate similar sized amplicons (~200bp) so there would be no need for size selection.

I plan to do bisulphite sequencing and aligning to a small region where all my amplicons will come from (300kb region of bisulphite converted sequnce) some of these amplicons will overlap with one another.

In essence I want as much read length (100bp x2) from the 200bp PCR amplicons as possible and so I was thinking there was going to be no insert - is this possible?

Leave a comment:

• Jeremy37
    replied
    Will all of your amplicons be exactly 200 bp long?
    And are you aligning to a reference genome after sequencing?
    I'm just thinking that if you're not aligning, and your reads don't overlap, then how will you know the actual insert size -- i.e. how many nt are between your PE reads.

In terms of size, though, having some be less than 200 nt and having the PE reads overlap is no problem. I've seen a number of our samples have low insert sizes close to a mean of 180 nt, with a distribution around that (i.e. some < 150 nt), and aligning to the reference human genome has been no problem.
    You just don't want your inserts to be so short that you start reading through them into the adaptor sequences. But it sounds like that wouldn't be the case here.

Leave a comment:

• yog77
    started a topic Illumina PE 100bp and allele content

Illumina PE 100bp and allele content

Hi All Im new on here. i was after advice concerning the 100bp PE reads:

Q1) I have heard it is a problem bioinformaticaly that if you do 100bp PE reads, you ideally don't want the reads from either end to overlap (ie more than 100bp+ from either end) coz if they do you can't align these easily.

Q2) Following on from Q1 the reason I ask this is that I would like to sequence directly from 200bp PCR fragments as I am hoping to index 96 samples in a single lane. So is it possible to sequence many (~150) amplicons that are all 200bp long, I guess adapters and barcodes would be added to these after PCR.

so ~150 x 200bp amplicons for 96 patients using 100bp PE reads, therefore achieving 200bp reads that would hold allele specific information for that one paired end read. Also I really have no other option but to use PCR products - but to maintain the read along the full length.

Can anyone help

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
    Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
    by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
    04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
  • seqadmin
    Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
    by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
    04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 11:49 AM
0 responses
0 likes
Last Post seqadmin  
Started by seqadmin, 04-24-2024, 08:47 AM
0 responses