Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great!
    Hmm. Looks like some lanes fared better than others at higher densities. Could you share which indexes were in each lane?

--
    Phillip

Comment

Originally posted by GenoMax View Post
      I doubt that someone with 1200+ posts on this forum would be in the "desperado" category
      You obviously haven't seen a picture of Phillip. His dark long hair and long beard plus steely gaze is enough to make the most stalwart biologist tremble at the thought of putting their precious samples into his hands. A hundred years ago he would have been known as the 'Sequencing Kid' ready to take on all comers.

We will get the indexes early next week. I have my fingers crossed hoping that they look good despite the high cluster densities.

Comment

Indexes and density.

At the densities we see, there seemed to be no density-dependent impact on index demultiplexing (I have restricted these to the indexed lanes, 2-7 and the index cycles, 102-108):

Well, okay that just shows quality. But from the "Indexing" tab of SAV, all lanes with indexes (2-7) demultiplexed >98% of the PF clusters.

Here are all the cycles thus far.
        The low quality cycle-tiles derive either from "Bottom Middle Swath" events or index cycles from non-index (v3) phiX lanes (1,8).

Could be the result of:
        (1) Density not all that high? But some tiles were above 1100 K clusters/mm^2.
        (2) Newest HCS/RTA version less sensitive to density.
        (3) New instrument laser gives higher signal, thus higher signal/noise

Anyway, the HiSeq does not appear to have the requirement that each cycle have AC/GT channels populated with clusters to prevent mis-focusing. Lane 7 above has a single index in it. Nevertheless it "demultiplexes" fine. Actually since all 4 channels are being scanned with different lasers (if I understand correctly.) This is not surprising.

--
        Phillip

Comment

Originally posted by pmiguel View Post
          Anyway, the HiSeq does not appear to have the requirement that each cycle have AC/GT channels populated with clusters to prevent mis-focusing. Lane 7 above has a single index in it. Nevertheless it "demultiplexes" fine. Actually since all 4 channels are being scanned with different lasers (if I understand correctly.) This is not surprising.

--
          Phillip
          Doesn't this mean that any combinations of indices should work equally well?
          If so, my impression is exactly the opposite - when we ran two samples with barcodes 12 and 7, we failed to demultiplex about 30% of reads. The explanation that Illumina support gave us "the problem is with the choice of barcodes. To ensure indexed reads perform optimally try to ensure you have one base from the green channel (G or T) and one from the red channel (A or C) at every cycle."

Comment

Originally posted by MLog View Post
            Doesn't this mean that any combinations of indices should work equally well?
            If so, my impression is exactly the opposite - when we ran two samples with barcodes 12 and 7, we failed to demultiplex about 30% of reads. The explanation that Illumina support gave us "the problem is with the choice of barcodes. To ensure indexed reads perform optimally try to ensure you have one base from the green channel (G or T) and one from the red channel (A or C) at every cycle."
            On a HiSeq? What you describe is exactly correct for a HiScanSQ. But with a HiScanSQ a single bar code will rarely "demultiplex" at rates above 50%. Whereas our HiSeq (first run) has no difficulty "demultiplexing" the single index.

We are used to "balancing" our indexes for the HiScanSQ, so we will probably continue to do so.

--
            Phillip

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
              by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
              04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
            • seqadmin
              Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
              by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
              04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, 04-25-2024, 11:49 AM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, 04-24-2024, 08:47 AM
            0 responses