No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Illumina adapters with custom PCR primers

Hi all,

I am in the amplicon PCR stage of amplifying fungal DNA. However, I need to order primers with Illumina adapters on them, as I am planning on sequencing down the line. I am following a fungal metagenomics library prep workflow for referring to the Illumina adapter sequences. The protocol says I can use a custom locus-specific primer; "The overhang adapter sequence must be added to the locus-specific primer for the region to be targeted".

However, when I am adding the Illumina adapters to my sequence in IDT (ordering 25 nmol), the reverse is 61 bp long and gives me a warning. Can someone help me understand how to order the primer with adapter attached, and if I can check their compatibility?

Thanks xx

Hi,
    I guess a good solution for this is a two-step PCR. The first is with custom locus-specific primers with the 5' addition of a partial Illumina sequence. The other set is a full Illumina adapter sequence that contains an index as well. That way you can use the same pair for all of your samples in the 1st PCR, and index your reaction in the 2nd.
    Some more explanations and example sequences can be found here:
    Advances in single-cell genomics enable commensurate improvements in methods for uncovering lineage relations among individual cells. Current sequencing-based methods for cell lineage analysis depend on low-resolution bulk analysis or rely on extensive single-cell sequencing, which is not scalable a …

good luck

Comment

Hi there,
      Are you amplifying/sequencing fungal ITS or another gene? Just curious. Are you using the pooled primers recommended in the protocol? The first step PCR uses your regular fwd and rev primers (or the pooled primers) and the HotStart ready mix ads the necessary (short) sequence that the Illumina indices will then attach to in the 2nd PCR reaction.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
        by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
        04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
      • seqadmin
        Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
        by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
        04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, 04-25-2024, 11:49 AM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 04-24-2024, 08:47 AM
      0 responses