No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• assemble genome use mate pair library

Dear all,

I have a simple question which confused me a long time. Before assembling genome, do I need to reverse the mate pair reads or complement reverse the mate pair reads? Thank you very much!

Huily

Neither. In general you simply need to tell your assembler that you have mate pairs. They are oriented in a different direction than paired-ends but I suspect that all assemblers can handle this.

Comment

I want to use velvet to assemble, but the velveth can't handle this. I don't know how to do that.

Comment

Velvet can handle paired reads fine. Can you clarify as to whether you are using a long-mate pair or normal fragment library? For example, what is the expected insert size?

Comment

I have two normal pair end libraries with insert 260bp and one mate pair library with insert size 7000bp. Does the long paired-end have same meaning with mate paired-end?

Comment

Sometimes they are used interchangeably. To be precise, I tend to refer to the short ones as "fragment libraries" and the long ones as "long mate pair (LMP) libraries".

Normally, fragment libraries are used for assembling contigs using kmers, while LMP libraries are used for scaffolding (based on mapping). I have never used Velvet for scaffolding, just contig-making. You might try a standalone scaffolder once you have contigs from Velvet.

Comment

Do be aware that the directionality of (at least Illumina) reads is different between Paired End and Mate Pair libraries. For this reason I would never use the terms interchangeably.

Personally I use ABySS to assemble/scaffold PE with MP and even long read libraries. It works fine for the general case -- i.e., with the many different species I work with -- but there are probably better assemblers for the specific kingdoms.

Comment

Guys, I think you are skating around the true horror of the OPs message.

One must never reverse without complementing nor complement without reversing. Those are forbidden operations. Forbidden!!

BTW Rick, Roche screwed things up (as usual) by calling their 454 mate-pair library construction method "paired end". Well, really back in pre-next gen era , "Mate pair" and "paired end" were used interchangeably. The "mate pair" BAC sub-libraries we used to make were really what we would now call "paired end". Kind of.

--
                Phillip

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
                  by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
                  04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
                • seqadmin
                  Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                  by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                  04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, Today, 08:06 AM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, 04-30-2024, 12:17 PM
                0 responses