No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RNA-Seq and 5S

Originally posted by Olaf Blue View Post
    Hello: the information we have with Ribo-Zero abd Mycobacterium tuberculosis is this:

"“RZ Bacteria - (Mycobacterium tuberculosis) Efficiently removes 23S, 16S and 5S rRNAs.”

Olaf
    I am working on an RNA-Seq project and on epibio website under species compatibility it states for Mycobacterium tuberculosis "will not remove 5S". Looking at Agilent results I have to agree b/c we see a very distinct peak for the 5S region after using Ribo-Zero Magnetic Kit (Gram-Positive Bacteria) Cat. No. MRZGP126. 23S and 16S are gone. My concern is that a large portion of our reads from sequencing will be 5S region and we will reduce reads for the important stuff. Has anyone been successful at removing the 5S for such an experiment? Or do you just sequence more to achieve the desired depth?

I even see my library size range shifted. Usually I expect more reads >200bp, but in this case I have an increased distribution of fragments <200bp. I believe this to be the 5S region being fragmented even smaller and being carried through the rest of Library construction protocol. SoliD RNA-Seq standard protocol. I am very hesitant to proceed with sequencing. Does anyone have a similar experience?

Thanks.
    Last edited by RickC7; 09-19-2013, 06:06 AM.

Comment

Generally RNA can be further enriched by size selection; I believe that 5s rRNA (about 110-120 nt) can be removed using a standard Qiagen RNEasy MiniKit as the kit will not retain any RNAs less than 200 nt. We almost never see any fragment size shift as the capture probes only interact/remove rRNA and do not affect the RNA quality in terms of insert length. What kit/method are you using for library prep?

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
        by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
        04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
      • seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
      0 responses