Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the New Seqanswers!

Welcome to the new Seqanswers! We'd love your feedback, please post any you have to this topic: New Seqanswers Feedback.
See more
See less

Spam prevention: Posts from new users will be filtered for spam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spam prevention: Posts from new users will be filtered for spam

Hey all,

Due to a continued increase in spam, which has ranged from the most subtle to the most *ahem*...graphic, I just activated a filter for posts from new users.

This will subject new user's first X posts to screening via a stringent third-party spam database, and hopefully weed out the remainder of the spam I can't catch manually.

If for some reason your posts aren't making it through and you think they should, please send me a PM or email. I expect to have to work out some kinks.

Thanks.

It's working so far.

Comment

And a good idea. Yesterday's posts were definitely NSFW (not safe for work). Actually they weren't safe for home either. It is a shame that our beloved site got hit that way.

Comment

Bump for not needing to modify this setting for 6 years.

Comment

Perhaps not quite working yet

Not the kind of spam from this morning but still .. just saw one pop up (from an existing spam user).

Comment

Thanks. Different reasons, but got it too.

Comment

There's another one that just popped up. Seems to be largely throttled at least.

Comment

This one literally asks to be banned under "instruments".

Comment

Spambots appear to have made a come back .. at a reduced rate though.

Comment

Some of the first accounts didn't get banned...I'm keeping an eye on my phone from the road...:/

Comment

Still seems to not quite be working. Though, most of the spam posts now show up as "moderated".

Comment

Seems to be only one account (slowly) getting through at the moment. Depending on what permissions they get, you might want to just deputize a few more moderators.

Comment

Another possibility, at present, is to prohibit the use of non-ASCII unicode characters in new posts, if you have that kind of flexibility...

Comment

Looks like the bots are working through the new "300 seconds between two posts" limit.

Comment

Originally posted by GenoMax View Post
                              Looks like the bots are working through the new "300 seconds between two posts" limit.
                              It's a lot easier to clean up, though.

Comment

Working...
                              X