Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "New" posts on SeqAnswers

I generally like to browse this site using the "new" posts tag on the main page. I often find that even though I see a certain number of posts as "new" (as soon as I log in) by the time I click "new" post link the actual "new" posts that show up is significantly less than that original number on the "new" posts page.

I assume the "new" posts are determined by a cookie setting? Is this something I can change on my end or can you set this up so that the time delay on the "new" posts is extended (not sure if this is the right request) site-wide.

Since there are new posts in several forum sections I do not want to go through each section to see which posts I missed since they disappeared from "new" list before I had a chance to see them.

I am with you on this. I have it "remember me" so that I am logged in, or I log in first thing. I then click "new posts" at the top page. I then open a new tab for each page I have not visited (scroll to the bottom of the first "new page" to get to the "Page 1 of ZZZ" links). If I am not careful, I lose all new posts.

Perhaps the best feature to mitigate this problem would be the ability to search for all posts since a given date. Unfortunately you must enter a keyword to accompany any search.

Comment

This is possible, I just have to find the right mod that sets the timeframe based on your cookie age. The syntax for the simple date search is the following:

Code:
      http://seqanswers.com/forums/search.php?do=getdaily&[U][B][COLOR="Red"]days=4[/COLOR][/B][/U]&contenttype=vBForum_Post
      ...I'm looking for the right mod that will enable this seamlessly.

Comment

Ok guys I found and installed one that appears to do most of what you want...doesn't expire until you logout, shows ajax updated current new post count...lets you look at new in specific forums, just todays, or all new posts.

I can't get the Ajax part to work on the front page yet...but it works everywhere within the forums (starting on the index page: http://seqanswers.com/forums/).

I'm too tired and it's too late for me to continue to troubleshoot, but I'll keep at it soon.

Feedback welcome.

Comment

Thanks Eco.

I can see a "New Posts" option on the forum page. This plus the option to search for posts for a certain number of days in the past should do the trick.

Comment

I like the new count and the new posts broken down by forum. Cool stuff!

Comment

The new posts seems to be wrong. For me, currently, it says:
              But when I click on that link then I get many fewer posts:
              Showing results 1 to 25 of 54
              Search took 0.02 seconds; generated 2 minute(s) ago. Search:

Comment

@westerman...

I'll take a look. vBulletin caches searches and I hope they aren't colliding...I've read that this add-on can be problematic for big boards, but I don't think of us as that large given the server load.

Comment

I am not complaining ... happy to have the new browsing option available.

For the record: I also see

Code:
                  When I click on the "New Posts" link:

Code:
                  Showing results 1 to 25 of 46
                  Search took 0.02 seconds; generated 5 minute(s) ago

Comment

The 'new posts' function stopped working for me over the past couple of days (it now always says there are no unread posts). I'm not aware of any changes on my end. Did something change at SEQanswers?

Comment

It is working for me so not a general problem.

Perhaps clearing cookies from seqanswers.com may be worth a try.

Originally posted by scbaker View Post
                      The 'new posts' function stopped working for me over the past couple of days (it now always says there are no unread posts). I'm not aware of any changes on my end. Did something change at SEQanswers?

Comment

Hmm, started working for me again all on its own, but thanks for the good advice. I'll keep it in mind if it starts happening to me again.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                        • seqadmin
                          Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                          by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                          Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                          03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                        0 responses
                        0 likes
                        Last Post seqadmin  
                        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                        0 responses