Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Towards Forming a Policy on Commerical Posts (OPEN FOR DISCUSSION)

I just wanted to share with everyone my somewhat vague stance on commercial advertising/posts on SEQanswers, and get some feedback from the community. My "policy", which has basically been formed over time, is that when a post has significant scientific content relevant to the community, I will happily welcome it [benchmarking posts (see most of those by kmay from Genomatix), algorithm discussions (see those by the novoalign guys), spirit's posts, etc].

I have always wanted SEQanswers to be an open community for users to openly communicate with one another, even including commercial vendors...

...but I definitely feel, based on my experiences on other large boards, that there is a point where commercial vendors should incur some advertising charges to help support SEQanswers, and to prevent a "spammy" feel to the board. There are quite a few unobtrusive ways in which this could occur (ie custom user titles, vendor sponsored subforums etc), which would not encroach on open communication (my nightmare is inline ads, popups, etc, that will never happen), and ensure full disclosure.

In any event, I welcome anyone's comments or thoughts on this topic, and please continue posting as usual, I'll tell you if you cross "the line" (as ambiguous as it may be).

Thanks ECO for your open word!

I was "outing" myself from the beginning as a company guy and hope my postings were never felt to be too much of an advertising, though I admit a certain bias towards the company feeding my kids.

I tried to deliver facts for comparison and to offer free services to posters to put us on a test. In my eyes this is the best advertising one can do, let the facts speak on their own.

I value your board very high, and if there is a way Genomatix can reward you and help for keeping it up and running as it is, I am happy to contribute within the limited funds we have. Genomatix is very science driven and all puts all the money on hiring new scientists rather than running advertising campaigns - but I am sure that there is some support available for you!

In what form you will reward sponsors is totally up to you and I am sure you will proceed according the opinions expressed in this thread.

I´d be happy also if everything stays as is... You could give all commercial guys a special avatar, then it is clear from the beginning who posts.

Cheers

Klaus

Comment

I second the motion for avatars. Maybe one for people from companies, another for people at academic institutions (students could be a separate category), and those who wish to be mysterious could get a picture of Zoro in his black mask. (-;

Although I like anonymity, it's also nice to have some vague notion of who we're talking with.

Anthony
      The more you know, the more you know you don't know. —Aristotle

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
      • seqadmin
        Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
        by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
        Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
        03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
      0 responses