No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whole Genome Re-sequencing concept

Hello Guys

I am new with Next generation sequencing technology and unfamiliar with the concept. As far as i know Whole genome re-sequencing is where the genome of an individual was sequenced using bridge-PCR method (for Illumina) and compared with a known reference. This technique is use to identify SNPs, SVs, InDel (such mutations).

Am i right so far??? any extra piece i am missing ??

Cheers

Correct so far. Missing pieces would be more details for the sequencing part. "... In the case of Illumina HiSeq 2000, preparation of the sequencing library is done by bridge PCR, while the sequencing is done by a technology referred to as cyclic reversible termination. ..." and perhaps more details on how the computational comparison is done, depth of coverage needed, how to detect false positives, etc.

Comment

Hi westerman

I appreciate your correction, may i ask for more about depth of coverage .... IE, how is it determined ???? Is it used to detect SNP ??? I did cancer research in my MSC and were focused on monoclonal antibodies so never learn much about it

Comment

A simple way to determine average read depth is to do the following equation

How many of my sequenced bases have I uniquely mapped to my target (genome)
        divided by
        How big is my target (genome)

i.e. how many times, on average, have I sequenced each base.

The reason why you need high levels of coverage is to compensate for error and systematic bias in next-gen sequencing.

Of course, this is an average, so there will be regions of high coverage and regions of low (zero) coverage.

What depth you need depends on your application. For resequencing a "normal" genome you'll probably get away with 40X coverage.
        If you know your sample is highly homogeneous (cell line) you may be able to drop that to 20X.
        If you are sequencing a tumor sample (mixed genomes) you may want to go to hundreds, if not thousand fold coverage.

Comment

BTW, while Illumina & Bridge PCR are one way, that is not an essential part of the definition, and human genome resequencing has been performed on a number of other platforms (454, Ion Torrent, Helicos, SOLiD & Complete Genomics)

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
            by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
            04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
          • seqadmin
            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
          0 responses