Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • newBioinfo
    Member
    • Mar 2012
    • 36

    #1

    Sample collection for metranscriptomic sequencing

    Hi All,
    I need to do metatranscriptomic sequencing from ice samples. I want to know how can samples be transported from the site to the lab for RNA isolation. The ice samples will be filtered on-site to remove unwanted elements, the filter will have all the microbes I need to study. In case of metagenomics the filter was preserved in ethanol and was transported to lab but I am wondering if I keep the filter in the ethanol all the RNA will be degraded.
    Please can anyone suggest anything.


    Thanks!!!
  • JackieBadger
    Senior Member
    • Mar 2009
    • 385

    #2
    You talk in the future then past tense...have you actually collected the samples?
    If not, then do not preserve in ethanol. You need RNAlater. Although RNAlater is expensive, the recipe is not complicated and you can make your own for much cheaper.

    Comment

    • newBioinfo
      Member
      • Mar 2012
      • 36

      #3
      Originally posted by JackieBadger View Post
      You talk in the future then past tense...have you actually collected the samples?
      If not, then do not preserve in ethanol. You need RNAlater. Although RNAlater is expensive, the recipe is not complicated and you can make your own for much cheaper.
      Thanks JackieBadger,
      I did some 16S rDNA sequencing from the samples collected from ice and they were preserved in ethanol. But, now I need to do metatranscriptomic for ice samples and I am not sure how to transport the filters with microbes from site to lab for RNA isolation.
      The samples are not not collected yet for metatranscriptome.


      Thanks!!!

      Comment

      • JackieBadger
        Senior Member
        • Mar 2009
        • 385

        #4
        for transcriptome work you need to preserve as much RNA as possible...ethanol just won't do. Like I mentioned, you need to use RNAlater or make some of your own

        Comment

        • newBioinfo
          Member
          • Mar 2012
          • 36

          #5
          Originally posted by JackieBadger View Post
          for transcriptome work you need to preserve as much RNA as possible...ethanol just won't do. Like I mentioned, you need to use RNAlater or make some of your own
          Thanks a lot!!!

          Comment

          • Cofactor Genomics
            Registered Vendor
            • Jan 2010
            • 52

            #6
            Hello NewBioinfo,
            I agree with JackieBadger on taking these steps to do all you can for the preservation of those RNA samples.

            What becomes the real determinant is that assessment (QC) that you make of the RNA post isolation and prior to any library constructions (ie well before it gets anywhere close to a sequencer).

            There are additional members on this board that have done thousands of RNA isolations and QC prior to sequencing. Our respective team has learned quite a bit over the past 5 years on what are the requirements for RNA to produce a successful sequencing product (RNA-seq is the number one project type initiated with our teams for 5 years in a row).
            Below is a link to what our team is looking for concerning input quality/quantity to execute a successful project. I include it in hopes it in hopes it is useful:



            My best.

            Jarret Glasscock
            Cofactor Genomics




            Jarret Glasscock
            Cofactor Genomics

            Comment

            Latest Articles

            Collapse

            • SEQadmin2
              New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
              by SEQadmin2


              Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

              We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing
              ...
              09-28-2026, 10:25 AM
            • SEQadmin2
              How Immunogenomics Decodes Immunity’s Genetic Blueprint
              by SEQadmin2




              The immune system’s power comes from its genetic diversity, allowing myriad threats to be neutralized through first recognizing foreign antigens. That diversity is also what makes the immune system so difficult to study. Recent advances in sequencing technology and computational biology, however, are giving researchers new tools to understand immune responses and immune-related diseases in greater detail.

              This convergence of genetics, immunology, and computation...
              09-01-2026, 05:41 AM

            ad_right_rmr

            Collapse

            News

            Collapse

            Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by SEQadmin2, 09-29-2026, 09:51 AM
            0 responses
            14 views
            0 reactions
            Last Post SEQadmin2  
            Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
            0 responses
            37 views
            0 reactions
            Last Post SEQadmin2  
            Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
            0 responses
            28 views
            0 reactions
            Last Post SEQadmin2  
            Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
            1 response
            48 views
            0 reactions
            Last Post pekgio
            by pekgio
             
            Working...